1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate the y component of the electric field at a generic point(x,y)

1. Sep 3, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

an electric dipole is placed in the x-y plane, with the positive charge +q placed in position (+a, 0) and the negative charge -q placed in position (-a, 0)

define r(subscript +) and r(subscript -) the vectors connecting the point defined by r and the two points (+a, 0) and (-a, 0), and r(subscript+) and r(subscript -) their magnitudes; calculate the y component of the electric field at a generic point (x, y) of the plane as a function of r(subscript +) and r(subscript -) (it is quicker to use directly the field equation from a point charge than using the potential)

3. The attempt at a solution

E=-gradV=q/(4 pi epsilon0)(1/(r^2)) r-hat

E=q/(4pi epsilon0) [(1/([r(+)]^2 +(x+a)^2))+(1/([r(-)]^2 + (x-a)^2))]

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2011 #2
    In the above was a hint:

"... (it is quicker to use directly the field equation from a point charge than using the potential) ... "

The first line of your solution you have E=-gradV ...

I think you are to just add two electric vectors?

4. Sep 4, 2011 #3
    sorry, I still don't understand. where have I gone wrong?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook