Calculate Torque for Pin: L=100.9 cm, M=3.98 kg, m=537 g.

  • Thread starter Thread starter PoPrOcKsRoCk
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Pin Torque
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
PoPrOcKsRoCk
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Torque of a pin. Please Help!

Homework Statement


How much torque must the pin exert to keep the rod from rotating? (L=100.9 cm, M=3.98 kg, m=537 g.)
I attached the picture of the problem. I am unsure how to approach the problem. I am looking through my College Physics and cannot find an equation to solve this problem. Help please!

Homework Equations


Torque=distance from the pivot*the force


The Attempt at a Solution

 
Attachments
Physics news on Phys.org


Welcome to Physics Forums.

PoPrOcKsRoCk said:

Homework Statement


How much torque must the pin exert to keep the rod from rotating? (L=100.9 cm, M=3.98 kg, m=537 g.)
I attached the picture of the problem. I am unsure how to approach the problem. I am looking through my College Physics and cannot find an equation to solve this problem. Help please!

Homework Equations


Torque=distance from the pivot*the force
Okay, so based on that equation how much torque do the bar and hanging mass each exert on the pivot point (pin location)?

You may treat the bar's mass as being located at the bar's center.
 


I got it.

I used the equation T=Fr for the Torque of rod M and the Torque of the weight of m then added both torques.

Thank you.