Calculate volume of body T between planes

In summary: But I don't see the problem with reducing the cylinder to a point mass, isn't it equivalent?Well m would be the be the mass of a body in ##T## while M is the mass of the entire cylinder. My idea was to sum up the gravitational force ##dF## in point ##T## which is ##v## above the disc, for all the discs with height ##dz##. All the discs together are than whole cylinder from ##0## to ##z##.So yes, what I meant was mass of the... cylinder. But I don't see the problem with reducing the cylinder to a point mass, isn't it equivalent?In summary, the task is to calculate the gravitational force between a body
skrat

Homework Statement

Calculate the volume of a body given by plane ##z=0## and ##z=1## and ##x^2+y^2+z^2=4##.

Homework Equations

##detJ=r^2sin \theta## for spherical coordinates

The Attempt at a Solution

##V=\iiint_{T}^{}dV=\int_{0}^{2\pi }d\varphi \int_{0}^{1}dz\int_{\theta _{0}}^{\pi /2}r^2sin\theta d\theta ##
##V=\int_{0}^{2\pi }d\varphi \int_{0}^{1}dzr^2\frac{1}{2}##
##V=2\pi r^2\frac{1}{2}=\pi r^2=4\pi ##

Why is this wroooong? -.-

one more thing: trying to integrate by dx,dy and dz (having some troubles with integral borders):
##V=\int_{0}^{1}dz\int_{-2}^{2}dy\int_{-\sqrt{4-y^2-z^2}}^{\sqrt{4-y^2-z^2}}dx## or not?

Thanks for all the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
skrat said:
##V=\iiint_{T}^{}dV=\int_{0}^{2\pi }d\varphi \int_{0}^{1}dz\int_{\theta _{0}}^{\pi /2}r^2sin\theta d\theta ##
You seem to have a mix spherical and cylindrical coordinates. How are you defining r here? θ should not be going all way to π/2.

am... the way I imagined this is that r=2 is constant and ##\theta ## angle between R and axis z like on this picture: http://phobos.ramapo.edu/~aferry/wk1principles/principle_images/form.png

Hmm, I guess what I need is r as function of z, where r would be radius of a circle at given z.
So...if I am not wrong, this should than work perfectly?

##V=\iiint_{T}^{}dV=\int_{0}^{2\pi }d\varphi \int_{0}^{1}dz\int_{0}^{\sqrt{R_0^{2}+z^2}}rdr ##

Where ##R_0=2## is sphere radius.

And if I a not wrong these are cylindrical coordinates?

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it even possible to write this integral with spherical coordinates in one piece or only using the sum of two integrals?

skrat said:
am... the way I imagined this is that r=2 is constant and ##\theta ## angle between R and axis z like on this picture: http://phobos.ramapo.edu/~aferry/wk1principles/principle_images/form.png

Hmm, I guess what I need is r as function of z, where r would be radius of a circle at given z.
So...if I am not wrong, this should than work perfectly?

##V=\iiint_{T}^{}dV=\int_{0}^{2\pi }d\varphi \int_{0}^{1}dz\int_{0}^{\sqrt{R_0^{2}+z^2}}rdr ##

Where ##R_0=2## is sphere radius.

And if I a not wrong these are cylindrical coordinates?
Yes, cylindrical. But you have a sign wrong in the upper bound for r.
Is it even possible to write this integral with spherical coordinates in one piece or only using the sum of two integrals?
You could write it in one piece, but the limits would include functions like min{}, so it's effectively a sum or difference of two.

Last edited by a moderator:
skrat said:

Homework Statement

Calculate the volume of a body given by plane ##z=0## and ##z=1## and ##x^2+y^2+z^2=4##.

Homework Equations

##detJ=r^2sin \theta## for spherical coordinates

##V=\int_{0}^{2\pi }d\varphi \int_{0}^{1}dzr^2\frac{1}{2}##
##V=2\pi r^2\frac{1}{2}=\pi r^2=4\pi ##

Why is this wroooong? -.-

one more thing: trying to integrate by dx,dy and dz (having some troubles with integral borders):
##V=\int_{0}^{1}dz\int_{-2}^{2}dy\int_{-\sqrt{4-y^2-z^2}}^{\sqrt{4-y^2-z^2}}dx## or not?

Thanks for all the help!

You could just use volume by washers up the z-axis:

[tex]V=\int_0^1 \pi r^2 dz[/tex]

and the radius, [itex]r=f(z)[/itex] since it's spherically-symmetric, is only a function of z.

I have a similar problem again so I won't start new topic...
Calculate the gravitational force between body S, which is defined as space between ##x^2+y^2\leq R## and ##0\leq z \leq R##, and point ##T(0,0,h)## where ##h>R##.

Homework Equations

##F=G\frac{mM}{r^2}## where G is constant and r is the distance between tho bodies.

Well, my idea was to calculate the gravitational force for a disc with radius R and for distance d above the disk and than sum (integrate) the discs from 0 to z.
Let's try:
##dF=G\frac{mdM}{r^2}## where m is mass the point and M mass of the cylinder below the point, now here comes the very first problem because ##dM=\rho dV## but ##V(r,z)## so ##dM=\rho 2\pi rdrz + \rho \pi r^2dz##

Now what? :/

Or I could try

##dF=G\frac{mdM}{d^2}=G\frac{m\rho dV}{d^2}=Gm\rho\frac{dV}{d^2}=Gm\rho\int_{0}^{2\pi }d\varphi \int_{0}^{R}dr\int_{h}^{h-z}\frac{r}{d^2}dv## Where dv is thickness of the cylinder.
I also have to take only the vertical component of the force since horizontal component is 0 due to symmetry, thereby
##F=Gm\rho\int_{0}^{2\pi }d\varphi \int_{0}^{R}dr\int_{h}^{h-z}\frac{rv}{d^3}dv## where ##d=\sqrt{v^2+r^2}##
so

##F=Gm\rho\int_{0}^{2\pi }d\varphi \int_{0}^{R}dr\int_{h}^{h-z}\frac{rv}{(v^2+r^2)^{3/2}}dv## which now (If I calculated everything right) leads me to some suspicious logarithms:
##F=Gm\rho \pi \begin{bmatrix}
ln(1+\frac{R^2}{(h-z)^2})-ln(1+\frac{R^2}{h^2})
\end{bmatrix}##

hmm, if ##z=0## the logarithms are the same therefore the force would be zero which is not what I expected... I more or less expected the force between a disk and point T for z=0...

skrat said:
##dF=G\frac{mdM}{r^2}## where m is mass the point and M mass of the cylinder below the point,
You've lost me. I thought this was for a disc, so how does the mass of the cylinder come into it? If you meant to write 'mass of the disc', you can't reduce the disc to be equivalent to a point mass at its centre.

haruspex said:
You've lost me. I thought this was for a disc, so how does the mass of the cylinder come into it? If you meant to write 'mass of the disc', you can't reduce the disc to be equivalent to a point mass at its centre.

Well m would be the be the mass of a body in ##T## while M is the mass of the entire cylinder. My idea was to sum up the gravitational force ##dF## in point ##T## which is ##v## above the disc, for all the discs with height ##dz##. All the discs together are than whole cylinder from ##0## to ##z##.

So yes, what I meant was mass of the disc.

skrat said:
So yes, what I meant was mass of the disc.
Then you need to integrate over the area of the disc. You don't need to consider a test mass at (0, 0, h), just ask what the field is at that point. What is the field at Cartesian (0, 0, h) due to a disc element of mass ##\rho rdr d\theta## at polar (r, θ) in the XY plane? What component of that field will be relevant to the integration?

Am...
##F=Gm\int_{0}^{2\pi }d\theta \int_{0}^{R}\frac{r}{d^2}cos\varphi dr##
##F=Gmh\int_{0}^{2\pi }d\theta \int_{0}^{R}\frac{r}{(h^2+r^2)^{3/2}}##
##F=Gmh2\pi \int_{h^2}^{h^2+R^2}\frac{dt}{t^{3/2}}##
##F=-Gmh\pi \begin{bmatrix}
\frac{1}{\sqrt{h^2+R^2}}-\frac{1}{h}\end{bmatrix}=Gmh\pi \begin{bmatrix}
\frac{1}{h}-\frac{1}{\sqrt{h^2+R^2}}\end{bmatrix}##

right?

skrat said:
Am...
##F=Gm\int_{0}^{2\pi }d\theta \int_{0}^{R}\frac{r}{d^2}cos\varphi dr##
##F=Gmh\int_{0}^{2\pi }d\theta \int_{0}^{R}\frac{r}{(h^2+r^2)^{3/2}}##
##F=Gmh2\pi \int_{h^2}^{h^2+R^2}\frac{dt}{t^{3/2}}##
##F=-Gmh\pi \begin{bmatrix}
\frac{1}{\sqrt{h^2+R^2}}-\frac{1}{h}\end{bmatrix}=Gmh\pi \begin{bmatrix}
\frac{1}{h}-\frac{1}{\sqrt{h^2+R^2}}\end{bmatrix}##

right?
I think you have some factor of two errors. When substituting t, what is dt equal to?
When you then integrated, looks like you multiplied by the -1/2 instead of dividing by it.

Ah yes, that's right.

##dt=2rdr## and than when integrating multiplying by -2.
All together now
##F=Gmh2\pi \begin{bmatrix}
\frac{1}{h}-\frac{1}{\sqrt{h^2+R^2}}\end{bmatrix}## Sorry, I have exactly this on the paper yet...

Now I have to integrate this again, for discs form 0 to z. How do I do that?

skrat said:
##F=Gmh2\pi \begin{bmatrix}
\frac{1}{h}-\frac{1}{\sqrt{h^2+R^2}}\end{bmatrix}## Sorry, I have exactly this on the paper yet...

Now I have to integrate this again, for discs form 0 to z. How do I do that?
First, you need to replace h with a function of z, right?

haruspex said:
First, you need to replace h with a function of z, right?

THIS is the step I just couldn't remember!

##F=Gm2\pi \rho (1-\frac{h}{\sqrt{h^2+R^2}})## where now ##h=h_0-z## therefore ##dh=-dz##
##F=-Gm2\pi \rho \int_{0}^{z}(1-\frac{h_0-z}{\sqrt{(h_0-z)^2+R^2}})dz##
##F=-Gm2\pi \rho \begin{bmatrix}
\int_{0}^{z}dz-\int_{0}^{z}\frac{h_0-z}{\sqrt{(h_0-z)^2+R^2}}dz
\end{bmatrix}##
z+\frac{1}{2}\int_{h_0^2+R^2}^{(h_0-z)^2+R^2}t^{-1/2}dt
\end{bmatrix}##
z+\sqrt{(h_0-z)^2+R^2}-\sqrt{h_0^2+R^2}
\end{bmatrix}##
or
##F=Gm2\pi \rho \begin{bmatrix}
-z-\sqrt{(h_0-z)^2+R^2}+\sqrt{h_0^2+R^2}
\end{bmatrix}##

Now second part is ##\lim_{R->0}F(R)=\lim_{R->0}Gm2\pi \rho \begin{bmatrix}
\end{bmatrix}##
##\lim_{R->0}F(R)=Gm2\pi \rho \begin{bmatrix}
-z-\sqrt{(h_0-z)^2}+\sqrt{h_0^2}
\end{bmatrix}=0##

Again, not something I expected. What I would expect is the same force we get over a "stick" Since my english is not very good I tried to draw what I expected (in attachment).
In that case F should be ##F=Gm\rho (\frac{1}{h-z}-\frac{1}{h})##

or...not?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 297
skrat said:
Now second part is ##\lim_{R->0}F(R)=\lim_{R->0}Gm2\pi \rho \begin{bmatrix}
\end{bmatrix}##
##\lim_{R->0}F(R)=Gm2\pi \rho \begin{bmatrix}
-z-\sqrt{(h_0-z)^2}+\sqrt{h_0^2}
\end{bmatrix}=0##

Again, not something I expected. What I would expect is the same force we get over a "stick" Since my english is not very good I tried to draw what I expected (in attachment).
In that case F should be ##F=Gm\rho (\frac{1}{h-z}-\frac{1}{h})##or...not?
The ρ before you take the limit is a volume density. Taking the limit turns the total mass to 0. Replace ρ with M/πR2 first.

You mean ##\rho = \frac{M}{\pi R^2z}## since we are talking about a cylinder here. Right?

##\lim_{R->0}Gm2\pi \rho \begin{bmatrix}
\end{bmatrix}##
##\lim_{R->0}\frac{2GmM}{zR^2}\begin{bmatrix}
\end{bmatrix}=\lim_{R->0}\frac{2GmM}{z}\begin{bmatrix}
-\frac{z}{R^2}-\frac{\sqrt{(h_0-z)^2+R^2}}{R^2}+\frac{\sqrt{h_0^2+R^2}}{R^2}
\end{bmatrix}##

ammm... Now if R -> infinity, the limit is 0 which is perfect, yet if R -> 0... than... Am? I kind of forgot how to deal with limits such as this one (konst/0)... L hospital doesn't help much.

skrat said:
You mean ##\rho = \frac{M}{\pi R^2z}## since we are talking about a cylinder here. Right?

##\lim_{R->0}Gm2\pi \rho \begin{bmatrix}
\end{bmatrix}##
##\lim_{R->0}\frac{2GmM}{zR^2}\begin{bmatrix}
\end{bmatrix}=\lim_{R->0}\frac{2GmM}{z}\begin{bmatrix}
-\frac{z}{R^2}-\frac{\sqrt{(h_0-z)^2+R^2}}{R^2}+\frac{\sqrt{h_0^2+R^2}}{R^2}
\end{bmatrix}##

ammm... Now if R -> infinity, the limit is 0 which is perfect, yet if R -> 0... than... Am? I kind of forgot how to deal with limits such as this one (konst/0)... L hospital doesn't help much.
You need to expand the square roots using the Taylor expansion/binomial theorem for small R.

What is the formula for calculating the volume of a body between two planes?

The formula for calculating the volume of a body between two planes is V = ∫a b A(x)dx, where A(x) is the cross-sectional area of the body at a given position x between the two planes, and a and b are the positions of the planes.

Can the volume of a body between two planes be negative?

No, the volume of a body between two planes cannot be negative. It represents the amount of space occupied by the body, which can never be negative.

Is it necessary to know the exact shape of the body to calculate its volume between two planes?

No, it is not necessary to know the exact shape of the body. As long as the cross-sectional area at each position between the two planes is known, the volume can be calculated using the formula V = ∫a b A(x)dx.

What units are used to measure the volume of a body between two planes?

The volume of a body between two planes is typically measured in cubic units, such as cubic meters or cubic centimeters, depending on the size of the body.

Are there any real-life applications of calculating the volume of a body between two planes?

Yes, there are many real-life applications for calculating the volume of a body between two planes. This concept is used in various fields such as engineering, architecture, and physics to design structures and analyze fluid flow.