Calculating Acceleration of a Cylinder on an Incline

  • Thread starter Thread starter muppet
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Cylinder Incline
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
muppet
Messages
602
Reaction score
0
The first part to an exam question I had to sit at the end of last year. It defeated me then, and I still can't do it now, which worries me more than a little!

Homework Statement


A solid cylinder of radius 10 cm and mass 12 kg starts from rest and rolls
without slipping a distance L = 6:0 m down a roof that is inclined at an
angle [tex]\theta[/tex] = 30[tex]\circ[/tex]
Show that the acceleration of the cylinder is given by
a= [tex]\frac{2gsin\theta}{3}[/tex]


Homework Equations


The acceleration of a block down a frictionless incline is just gsin [tex]\theta[/tex]
The moment of inertia of a solid cylinder of mass m and radius r
is given by I = [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]mr[tex]^{2}[/tex]


The Attempt at a Solution


As 2, but I really don't know where the factor of two thirds comes from. The question was worth 6 marks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org