Calculating Acceleration on an Inclined Ramp with Kinetic Friction

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
ccarlson_07
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I am very confused about this problem. The given info is:
You are standing at the bottom of an 8 m long ramp that is incline 37 degrees to above the horizontal. You grab a package from a conveyer belt and push it up the ramp. The coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.30
The questions:
1. What speed do you need to give the package at the bottom of the ramp so it has zero speed at the top?
2. If the person does not grab the package at the top of the ramp and it slides back down what speed will it return to you?

So far I have drawn a free body diagram w/ x-axis parallel to the incline.
I have sum(F(x))=F-mgsin37-F(f)=ma
sum(F(y))=N-mgcos37=ma
I get F=-1.93*m+1.3*N
How do I solve for acceleration? Where do I go from here?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
ccarlson_07 said:
I have sum(F(x))=F-mgsin37-F(f)=ma
What's "F"? There are only two forces acting on the package parallel to the ramp. Hint: Express friction in terms of the normal force.
 
Ah ha! I see, it makes a lot more sense now! Thanks!