Calculating Angular Momentum of Asteroid Impact on Planet

In summary, the planet was hit by an asteroid whose mass was M, velocity v, and its velocity vector was 22 degrees below the Eastward horizontal. The impact happened at an equatorial location. The asteroid's angular momentum relative to the planetary axis was calculated to be l = r m v \sin \theta, but this was wrong. The angle theta in the asteroid's velocity vector is not the angle theta in the problem.
lizzyb
A planet is hit by an asteroid whose mass is M, velocity v, and it's velocity vector is 22 degrees below the Eastward horizontal. The planet has a radius R.

I used the equation [tex]l = r m v sin \phi[/tex] but the answer was wrong. Am I not doing this correctly?

Physics news on Phys.org
lizzyb said:
A planet is hit by an asteroid whose mass is M, velocity v, and it's velocity vector is 22 degrees below the Eastward horizontal. The planet has a radius R.

I used the equation [tex]l = r m v sin \phi[/tex] but the answer was wrong. Am I not doing this correctly?
You have not told us the question, or anything we need to know about the planet. Please post the full statement of the problem.

ok - I didn't think the values regarding the planet were pertinent.

A planet has a mass [tex]M_p[/tex] and radius [tex]R_p[/tex] and we may approximate it as solid ball of uniform density. It rotates on its axis once every T (in hours but its easy to convert). The asteriod has a mass [tex]M_a[/tex] and a speed [tex]v_a[/tex] (relative to the planet's center); its velocity vector points [tex]\theta[/tex] below the Eastward horizontal. The impact happens at an equatorial location.

We first calculated the angular momentum of the planet before the impact - I got that right.

the next question regarding the same description is "Calculate the asteroid's angular momentum relative to the planetary axis".

So I just did [tex]l = r m v \sin \theta = R_p M_a v_a \sin \theta[/tex] but this was wrong.

Where did that [tex]\sin \theta[/tex] come from?

It's in my book; "The direction of the angular momentum vector in [a figure] is parallel to the z axis, in the direction of increasing z. The magnitude of this vector is given by [tex]l = r m v \sin \theta[/tex]."

lizzyb said:
It's in my book; "The direction of the angular momentum vector in [a figure] is parallel to the z axis, in the direction of increasing z. The magnitude of this vector is given by [tex]l = r m v \sin \theta[/tex]."
That angle theta is not the angle theta in your problem! That angle theta is the angle between the linear momentum (mv) and the radius vector (r). But in your problem, theta is the angle between linear momentum and the perpendicular to the radius (east is tangent to the Earth's surface).

so I should use [tex]90 - \theta[/tex]?

Yep. ...

thanks! :-)

Related to Calculating Angular Momentum of Asteroid Impact on Planet

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a property of a rotating object that measures the amount of rotational motion it possesses. It is a vector quantity that depends on the mass, velocity, and distance from the axis of rotation of the object.

2. How is angular momentum related to asteroids?

Asteroids, being celestial bodies, also possess angular momentum due to their rotational motion. The angular momentum of an asteroid is determined by its mass, velocity, and distance from its axis of rotation.

3. Can the angular momentum of an asteroid change?

Yes, the angular momentum of an asteroid can change due to external forces acting on it. For example, if a comet collides with an asteroid, it can transfer its angular momentum to the asteroid, causing it to change its rotational motion.

4. How is the angular momentum of an asteroid calculated?

The angular momentum of an asteroid can be calculated using the formula L = Iω, where L is the angular momentum, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity. The moment of inertia can be calculated using the mass and distance of the asteroid from its axis of rotation.

5. Why is the angular momentum of an asteroid important?

The angular momentum of an asteroid is important because it plays a crucial role in the dynamics of the solar system. It affects the trajectory and stability of an asteroid's orbit, and can also impact the formation and evolution of the asteroid itself.