Ligand Field Strength and UV absorbance

In summary, the conversation discusses a lab report on ion exchange chromatography and the use of UV vis to find the absorbance and calculate the mole fraction of each compound. One of the report's questions pertains to the absorption maxima and the relative ligand field strengths of Cl- and H2O. The expert explains that field strength does affect the absorbance wavelengths and that different ligands cause shifts in energy and absorption spectra. This is the reason for using UV-Vis absorption spectroscopy. The conversation concludes with the person thanking the expert for their help and remembering about the lecture on this topic.
ReidMerrill
Moved from a technical forum, so homework template missing
I have a lab report for an experiment in which we used ion exchange chromatography to separate three Chromium complexes, CrCl2(OH2)4+, CrCl(OH2)52+, and Cr(OH2)63+
We used a UV vis to find the absorbance of each compound and used that to calculate the mole fraction of each ion in a mixture.

One of the questions I need to address in my report is the wavelengths of absorption maxima for the three compounds and comment on the relative ligand field strengths of Cl- and H2O

I don't know if field strength has anything to do with absorbance wavelengths but I think it has something to do with how as time goes by, OH replaces Cl in the complex as time goes on. Am I on to something here?

Any help would be appreciated,
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
No, field strength has to do a lot with absorbance wavelengths. Different ligand leads to different ligand field splitting of energies of d-orbitals of Cr3+. This shift in energy causes a shift in the state energy. Absorption corresponds to transition between ground and excited states, so absorption spectra should shift with different ligands. That is why you are using UV-Vis absorption spectroscopy in the first place.

Cl- is a ligand with stronger ligand field than H2O. Consequently, for this Chromium(III) complex, which is a octahedral complex, the absorption spectra should red shift (energy gap between ground and excited state becomes smaller) with increasing number of H2O because Cr3+ is a d3 ion. Refer to Tanabe-Sugano Diagram that shows electronic state level energies with different ligand field strength.

You can reverse this line of argument, and that gives you the answer to your report.

Last edited:
HAYAO said:
No, field strength has to do a lot with absorbance wavelengths. Different ligand leads to different ligand field splitting of energies of d-orbitals of Cr3+. This shift in energy causes a shift in the state energy. Absorption corresponds to transition between ground and excited states, so absorption spectra should shift with different ligands. That is why you are using UV-Vis absorption spectroscopy in the first place.

Cl- is a ligand with stronger ligand field than H2O. Consequently, for this Chromium(III) complex, which is a octahedral complex, the absorption spectra should red shift (energy gap between ground and excited state becomes smaller) with increasing number of H2O because Cr3+ is a d3 ion. Refer to Tanabe-Sugano Diagram that shows electronic state level energies with different ligand field strength.

You can reverse this line of argument, and that gives you the answer to your report.
Thanks! I took the lecture for this lab class last year so I forgot about that. That explains why the peak absorption shifts to lower wavelengths as more Cl is displaced by water.

1. What is the ligand field strength and how does it affect UV absorbance?

The ligand field strength refers to the ability of a ligand (a molecule or ion that binds to a central metal atom) to influence the energy levels of the electrons in the metal's d orbitals. This strength can be affected by factors such as the nature and charge of the ligand, as well as the geometry of the ligand-metal complex. The higher the ligand field strength, the greater the splitting of the d orbitals, resulting in a higher energy difference between the ground state and excited state, and therefore a higher UV absorbance.

2. How does the geometry of a ligand-metal complex affect its ligand field strength?

The geometry of a ligand-metal complex can greatly influence the ligand field strength. In general, a more symmetrical geometry will result in a higher ligand field strength, as the ligands can interact more effectively with the d orbitals of the metal. For example, a complex with a tetrahedral geometry will have a higher ligand field strength than a complex with a square planar geometry.

3. What is the relationship between ligand field strength and the color of a metal complex?

The ligand field strength is directly related to the color of a metal complex. As mentioned before, a higher ligand field strength results in a larger energy difference between the ground and excited states, leading to a higher absorbance of light in the UV region. This absorbed light corresponds to a specific color in the visible spectrum, giving the complex its characteristic color.

4. Can the ligand field strength of a metal complex be altered?

Yes, the ligand field strength of a metal complex can be altered by changing the ligands or the geometry of the complex. For example, replacing a weak ligand with a stronger one or changing the geometry from tetrahedral to square planar can increase the ligand field strength and change the color of the complex. Additionally, external factors such as temperature and pressure can also affect the ligand field strength.

5. How is UV absorbance used to study ligand field strength?

UV absorbance is a commonly used technique to study the ligand field strength of a metal complex. By measuring the absorbance at different wavelengths, the energy difference between the ground and excited states can be calculated. This value is directly related to the ligand field strength and can be used to compare different complexes and ligands, as well as to study the effects of external factors on the ligand field strength.