Calculating Coefficient of Friction in a Hockey Puck Sliding Problem

  • Thread starter Thread starter Peter Tran
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Friction
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Peter Tran
Messages
4
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A hockey puck leaves a player's stick with a speed of 8.30m/s and slides 25.0m before coming to rest.

Find the coefficient of friction between the puck and the ice.


Homework Equations



f=μn
F=ma
v^2=v_0^2+2a(x-x_0)

The Attempt at a Solution



So I've already figured out the acceleration of the puck using the third equation I listed, which came out to be 12.5m/s. Problem is, I can't figure out how to find the mass of the puck. Which I need to know in order to calculate the normal force. Even then, I would still have two variables since I don't know (f) or (μ) where I'm trying to find (μ).

Help please? :)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Let the mass be represented by the variable, m. It will cancel out.