Calculating Denting Force for Steel and Aluminum: Formulae for Strength Testing

  • Thread starter Thread starter automengineer
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Formulae
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
automengineer
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Hi there guys, new to the forum.

I need to find a formulae for denting steel and aluminium. basically i need to work out how much force is require to dent a 300 x 300 and 1mm thick steel and same with aluminium and how much force is require to remove the dent.

practically I've already done the testing for it, but i need to calculate it as well.

if anyone can help that will be a massive appreciation.

cheers
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
Define "dent." Before you can calulate anything, you need to specify whether you're talking something like a Rockwell hardness test, or golf-ball sized hail.
 
hi there, I've already had a go at the Rockwell Hardness test but the numbers come out wrong. what I mean by denting the material is just deforming its natural shape. Have you got those two formulae's so that i can have another go. cheers