Calculating Dielectric Strength between plates

In summary, the conversation is about a student who lost their notes due to a storm and is now asking for help with a physics problem involving a parallel plate capacitor and the calculation of dielectric strength. The solution may involve calculating the permitivity of the dielectric material using the formula C = \epsilon_{r}\epsilon_{o}\frac{A}{d}.
mike0513
I know that I should do my homework, but I lost all my notes because of the flood brought by "Sendong" a storm in the Philippines. I just need the equations to be used to solve the problem that was given to us. So here it is:

A parallel plate capacitor has a capacitance of 7MF when filled with a dielectric. The area of each plate is 1.5m^2 and the separation between the plates is 1x10^-5m. What is the dielectric strength between the plates?

please help me :(

Physics news on Phys.org
Dielectric strength is to do with the breakdown of an insulator, it is measured in V/m. In Your question there is no p.d so you cannot calulate the dielectric strength.

Using C = [itex]\epsilon_{r}[/itex][itex]\epsilon_{o}[/itex][itex]\frac{A}{d}[/itex] you can calulate the permitivity of the dielectric material. Maybe that's what your question is asking?

1. What is the definition of dielectric strength?

Dielectric strength is the maximum electric field that a material can withstand without breaking down and becoming a conductor.

2. How is dielectric strength calculated between plates?

The dielectric strength between plates is calculated by dividing the breakdown voltage by the distance between the plates.

3. What factors affect the dielectric strength between plates?

The dielectric strength can be affected by the type of material between the plates, the distance between the plates, and the presence of any contaminants or impurities.

4. How is dielectric strength measured?

Dielectric strength is typically measured using a high voltage source and a gradually increasing voltage until breakdown occurs. The voltage at which breakdown occurs is then divided by the distance between the plates to obtain the dielectric strength.

5. Why is calculating dielectric strength important?

Calculating dielectric strength is important in determining the maximum voltage that can be applied to a material without causing damage or breakdown. This information is crucial in the design and use of electrical equipment and insulation materials.