Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Calculating Dielectric Strength between plates

1. Jan 2, 2012 #1
    I know that I should do my homework, but I lost all my notes because of the flood brought by "Sendong" a storm in the Philippines. I just need the equations to be used to solve the problem that was given to us. So here it is:

A parallel plate capacitor has a capacitance of 7MF when filled with a dielectric. The area of each plate is 1.5m^2 and the separation between the plates is 1x10^-5m. What is the dielectric strength between the plates?

please help me :(

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 2, 2012 #2
    Dielectric strength is to do with the breakdown of an insulator, it is measured in V/m. In Your question there is no p.d so you cannot calulate the dielectric strength.

Using C = [itex]\epsilon_{r}[/itex][itex]\epsilon_{o}[/itex][itex]\frac{A}{d}[/itex] you can calulate the permitivity of the dielectric material. Maybe thats what your question is asking?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook