1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating Dielectric Strength between plates

1. Jan 2, 2012 #1
    I know that I should do my homework, but I lost all my notes because of the flood brought by "Sendong" a storm in the Philippines. I just need the equations to be used to solve the problem that was given to us. So here it is:

A parallel plate capacitor has a capacitance of 7MF when filled with a dielectric. The area of each plate is 1.5m^2 and the separation between the plates is 1x10^-5m. What is the dielectric strength between the plates?

please help me :(

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 2, 2012 #2
    Dielectric strength is to do with the breakdown of an insulator, it is measured in V/m. In Your question there is no p.d so you cannot calulate the dielectric strength.

Using C = [itex]\epsilon_{r}[/itex][itex]\epsilon_{o}[/itex][itex]\frac{A}{d}[/itex] you can calulate the permitivity of the dielectric material. Maybe thats what your question is asking?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook