Calculating Difference in Speed of Light in Glass: Help Needed!

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
CathyLou
Messages
173
Reaction score
1
Hiya.

I'm really stuck on the following question. I think that I have got part a alright, but I've no idea what to do for part b. Any help would be really appreciated.

The refractive index of glass is 1.643 for blue light, and 1.618 for red.

(a) Calculate the difference in the speed of light in the glass for the two colours.


Okay, for this one I got that if n = C/V, for blue light V = 1.83 x 10^8 and for red light V = 1.85 x 10 ^8. Therefore, the difference is 2 x 10^6 m.s^1.

(b) If a very short pulse of white light is sent in a one end of an optical fibre made of this glass of length 1 km, find the time interval between the arrival at the other end of the red and blue light.

Thank you.

Cathy
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Go back to what was probably the very first fourmula you used in physics: d=vt.
 
Chi Meson said:
Go back to what was probably the very first fourmula you used in physics: d=vt.

Oh, yeah! Thanks so much for your help! :smile:

Cathy
 
I also had no idea how to work out the next question and would really appreciate it if someone could please help me out.

A diver working in water has a lamp which is 3 m below the surface. Viewed from above, the lamp produces a circle of light on the surface of the water. What is the diameter of the circle?

Thanks again.

Cathy
 
Last edited: