How can I find this displacement?

In summary: ##y_i## is the value of the function at the left endpoint of the ##i^{th}## interval while ##x_i## is the left endpoint of the ##i^{th}## interval.
GaussianSurface

Homework Statement

Your task is to estimate how far an object traveled during the time interval 0≤t≤8, but you only have the following data about the velocity of the object.
*First image
You decide to use a left endpoint Riemann sum to estimate the total displacement. So, you pick up a blue pen and draw rectangles whose height is determined by the velocity measurement at the left endpoint of each one-second interval. By using the left endpoint Riemann sum as an approximation, you are assuming that the actual velocity is approximately constant on each one-second interval (or, equivalently, that the actual acceleration is approximately zero on each one-second interval), and that the velocity and acceleration have discontinuous jumps every second. This assumption is probably incorrect because it is likely that the velocity and acceleration change continuously over time. However, you decide to use this approximation anyway since it seems like a reasonable approximation to the actual velocity given the limited amount of data.
(A) Using the left endpoint Riemann sum, find approximately how far the object traveled.
Total displacement=
Total distance travelled=

Homework Equations

27f90e83513fa118aa8656e06a548db639af4d79

Δx = (b - a)/ n
displacement = Xf- Xo
distance = velocity ⋅ time

The Attempt at a Solution

None yet[/B]

Attachments

• Sketch.png
    Sketch.png
    5.9 KB · Views: 702
  • Sketch2.png
    Sketch2.png
    10.6 KB · Views: 723
Physics news on Phys.org
GaussianSurface said:

Homework Statement

Your task is to estimate how far an object traveled during the time interval 0≤t≤8, but you only have the following data about the velocity of the object.
*First image
You decide to use a left endpoint Riemann sum to estimate the total displacement. So, you pick up a blue pen and draw rectangles whose height is determined by the velocity measurement at the left endpoint of each one-second interval. By using the left endpoint Riemann sum as an approximation, you are assuming that the actual velocity is approximately constant on each one-second interval (or, equivalently, that the actual acceleration is approximately zero on each one-second interval), and that the velocity and acceleration have discontinuous jumps every second. This assumption is probably incorrect because it is likely that the velocity and acceleration change continuously over time. However, you decide to use this approximation anyway since it seems like a reasonable approximation to the actual velocity given the limited amount of data.
(A) Using the left endpoint Riemann sum, find approximately how far the object traveled.
Total displacement=
Total distance travelled=

Homework Equations

27f90e83513fa118aa8656e06a548db639af4d79

Δx = (b - a)/ n
displacement = Xf- Xo
distance = velocity ⋅ time

The Attempt at a Solution

None yet[/B]
What is stopping you from just completing the calculation? You have all the ##\Delta x## and ##y_i## values, and you have a formula for the answer.

BTW: the formula should read as ##S = \sum_i y_i (x_i - x_{i-1})##; that is, you should have ##y_i## and not ##f(y_i)## in the sum.

Last edited:
Likes scottdave
Ray Vickson said:
you should have ##y_i## and not ##f(y_i)## in the sum.
You could have ##y_i## or ##f(x_i)## in the sum, but not, as Ray said, ##f(y_i)##.

1. How do I calculate displacement?

Displacement is calculated by subtracting the initial position from the final position.

2. What is the formula for displacement?

The formula for displacement is Δx = xf - xi, where Δx represents displacement, xf represents final position, and xi represents initial position.

3. What units are used for displacement?

Displacement is typically measured in units of length, such as meters (m) or centimeters (cm).

4. Can displacement be negative?

Yes, displacement can be negative if the final position is less than the initial position. This indicates that the object has moved in the opposite direction of its initial position.

5. How does displacement differ from distance?

Displacement is a vector quantity that takes into account the direction of an object's motion, while distance is a scalar quantity that only measures the total length traveled by an object regardless of direction.