1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating divergence using covariant derivative

1. Feb 9, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Using the definition of divergence [itex]d(i_{X}dV) = (div X)dV[/itex] where [itex]X:M\rightarrow TM[/itex] is a vector field, [itex]dV[/itex] is a volume element and [itex]i_X[/itex] is a contraction operator e.g. [itex]i_{X}T = X^{k}T^{i_{1}...i_{r}}_{kj_{2}...j_{s}}[/itex], prove that if we use Levi-Civita connection then the divergence can also be written as
    [itex]div X = X^{i}_{;i}[/itex]

2. The attempt at a solution

This is what i tried:
    since [itex]dV = dx^{1} \wedge ... \wedge dx^{n}[/itex]
    after some calculation i conclude that [itex]i_{X}dV = \sum_{i=1}^{n}(-1)^{i}X_{i}dx^{1} \wedge ... \wedge dx^{i-1} \wedge dx^{i+1} \wedge ... \wedge dx^{n}[/itex]
    so [itex]d(i_{X} dV) = (\partial _{i}X^{i})dV[/itex]
    Then i attempt the use the fact that [itex]\Gamma^{i}_{jk} = \Gamma^{i}_{kj}[/itex] to get a lot of cancellation and show that [itex]\partial _{i}X^{i} = X^{i}_{;i}[/itex]
    but i couldn't.
    So can anyone please help? Thx in advanced :)

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2012 #2

chiro

Science Advisor

Hey v2536 and welcome to the forums.

I don't know much about differential geometry, but I do understand in essence what you are trying to do.

Maybe you should look at this website (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divergence#Generalizations). A lot of the results you need are found in the coordinate free form you are trying to prove.

4. Feb 12, 2012 #3

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your first step is wrong. You should have

[tex]dV = \sqrt{g} \, dx^1 \wedge \ldots \wedge dx^n[/tex]
    where [itex]\sqrt{g}[/itex] is the square root of the determinant of the Riemannian metric.

5. Feb 12, 2012 #4
    Thank you chiro and Ben for your reply :)
    I see that i forgot about [itex]\sqrt{g}[/itex] in front but can't i always find an orthonormal basis and work in that?
    and by doing that g should become 1 right?

6. Feb 12, 2012 #5
    ok i think i understand now, if i use orthonormal basis then the connection may no be Levis-Civita.

7. Feb 13, 2012 #6

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you use an orthonormal basis, then your basis 1-forms are not necessarily closed (so it would be incorrect to write them as dx).

8. Feb 13, 2012 #7
    yes. that make sense.
    Now i got the solution, thanks for your help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook