1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating Efficiency of a Solar Cell Indirectly

1. Mar 22, 2014 #1
    Not sure if this is the right section for this, I apologize in advance.

I have a project to do and my goal is to measure the efficiency of a solar cell INDIRECTLY. I am not sure how to do that.

The equation for the efficiency of a solar cell is

η = P/E*A.

Where P is the cells power output (W), E is the irradiance (W/m^2) and A is the surface area of the cell (m^2).

The only thing I can think of is using a pyranometer to measure irradiance, and digital multimeter to measure power, but these aren't really indirect.

Can someone please help?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2014 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Interesting question. I have an idea of a way to do it, but is there any more definition to the problem? Like, do they say any more about direct versus indirect measurements?

4. Mar 22, 2014 #3
    Not really. All it says is that I need three sensors to indirectly measure it.

5. Mar 22, 2014 #4

berkeman

Yeah, that agrees with my idea. We are not allowed to give you solutions here on the PF, but we can provide hints if you show some effort. What other ideas do you have so far?

6. Mar 24, 2014 #5
    That is all I have so far.

7. Mar 24, 2014 #6

berkeman

Have you been doing any thinking or brainstorming about it? What does a solar cell do? What is its function, and how does it do it? What does efficiency mean in a high-level way for a solar cell power converter?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted