Calculating Electric Field Amplitude of Transmitted Light

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
sheepcountme
Messages
80
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement



A beam of unpolarized light with intensity 30 watts/m^2 passes through a polarizing sheet. What is the electric field amplitude of the transmitted beam?

Homework Equations



Ia=Ipcos2[tex]\Theta[/tex]
Ea=Epcos[tex]\Theta[/tex]
Ip=Io/2

The Attempt at a Solution



I solved the first two equations for cos[tex]\Theta[/tex] and set them equal to each other to get sqrt(Ia/Ip)=Ea/Ep

I know Io is 30, so Ip is 15

So then, I believe I should have sqrt(2)=Ea/Ep and I don't know how to just solve for one without the other...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
you need to know how the intensity of light is related to the electric field intensity. Look after in your textbook.

ehild
 
Ah, okay, so scrap all that and use I=(E2)/[tex]mu[/tex]oc

Thanks!

The book apparently likes to put questions at the end of random chapters!