Calculating electric field at a certain point in space

In summary, when two small charges (+6.0 x 10-5C and -2.0x10-5C) are placed 36 cm apart, the magnitude of the electric field at a point 18 cm above the midpoint of the line joining the two charges, on the perpendicular to that line, is 8.8x106N/C at an angle of 27 degrees above the horizontal. This is determined by calculating the electric field exerted by each charge and using the Pythagorean theorem to find the net electric field. The textbook provided a different answer of 6.6x106N/C, but it appears to be incorrect.
tobywashere

Homework Statement

Two small charges, +6.0 x 10-5C and -2.0x10-5C, are placed 36 cm apart. Calculate the magnitude of the electric field at a point 18 cm above the midpoint of the line joining the two charges, on the perpendicular to that line (and thus equidistant from the charges).

Homework Equations

E = kq / r2

The Attempt at a Solution

The three charges form a triangle with length 36 cm as the base and height 18 cm. The distance between the two charges is 36 cm. The distance from any of the charges to the point in space is approximately 18*sqrt[2], or 25.5 cm (using pythagorean theorem).
Therefore, the electric field exerted by the first charge is
k(6.0x10-5)/(0.255)2
= 8333333 N/C [45 degrees above the horizontal]
The electric field exerted by the second charge is
k(2.0x10-5)/(0.255)2
= 2777777 N/C [45 degrees below the horizontal]
The net electric field is the sum of these two fields. Since they form right angles to each other, we can use pythagorean theorem
E2 = 83333332 + 27777772
E = 8.8x106
Using tan inverse, the angle of the resultant electric field is 27 degrees above the horizontal.
However, the textbook says that the answer should be 6.6x106N/C
The textbook isn't always right, so am I right or is the textbook right this time?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi tobywashere...i do get the same thing as you got...and i did not even look at your solution... i tried it myself...got the same answer as you got and i saw that you have done the same thing...Sure looks like the book is wrong... I would like to see what answer some other PF members get ...

Yeah I'm pretty sure the textbook is wrong. Thanks!

Welcome...

As a scientist, it is important to first check your calculations and make sure they are accurate. It seems that you have made a small error in your calculation for the distance from the charges to the point in space. Using the Pythagorean theorem, the distance should be approximately 25.9 cm, not 25.5 cm. This small difference may account for the discrepancy between your answer and the textbook's answer.

Additionally, it is important to consider the units in your calculations. The electric field is typically measured in units of N/C, not just N. So your final answer should be 8.8x106 N/C, not just 8.8x106.

Overall, your approach to solving the problem seems correct and it is always good to double check your work and consider the units in your calculations. It is also important to keep in mind that there may be slight differences in answers due to rounding or slight variations in the problem. As a scientist, it is important to be open to different interpretations and always strive for accuracy in your calculations.

1. How do you calculate the electric field at a certain point in space?

To calculate the electric field at a certain point in space, you can use the equation E = kQ/r^2, where E is the electric field, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge, and r is the distance from the charge to the point where you want to calculate the electric field.

2. What units are used to measure the electric field?

The electric field is measured in units of newtons per coulomb (N/C) or volts per meter (V/m).

3. How does the distance from the charge affect the electric field?

The electric field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the charge. This means that as the distance from the charge increases, the electric field decreases.

4. Can the electric field be negative?

Yes, the electric field can be negative. This typically occurs when the charge creating the field is negative. A negative electric field means that the force acting on a positive charge would be in the opposite direction of the electric field.

5. Is the electric field a vector or a scalar quantity?

The electric field is a vector quantity, meaning that it has both magnitude and direction. The direction of the electric field is the same as the direction of the force that would be exerted on a positive test charge placed in the field.