1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating electric field given velocity and magnetic field

1. Jul 3, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In the figure below, an electron moves at speed v = 93 m/s along an x axis through uniform electric and magnetic fields. The magnetic field B is directed into the page and has magnitude 4.00 T. In unit vector notation, what is the electric field?

Figure: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/233/webassign2.jpg/

2. Relevant equations

v=E/B

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that the answer is 0 for the i and k direction. I thought for the j direction, I just had to use the formula v=E/B, which would give me 372. But that's incorrect. I don't know what else to try.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 3, 2011 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Have you tried -372 ?

4. Jul 3, 2011 #3
    That did it! Thanks.

5. Jul 3, 2011 #4

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Good. Usually when they don't specify a direction for the z-axis, you will need to try both + and - signs.

6. Jul 4, 2011 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Note that getting the sign right isn't a matter of guessing. From the right-hand rule, you should be able to see that the magnetic force will point in the +y direction. To cancel it, the electric force must point in the -y direction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook