1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating Electric Fields: Help

1. Nov 3, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Question: An electron and a proton are fixed at a separation distance of 925nm. Find the magnitude and direction of the electric field at their midpoint.

2. Relevant equations

E= Fe/q

3. The attempt at a solution

(8.988 x 10^9) x (q/(9.25 x 10^-7)2)

This is the equation i have to solve for it but I don't know what q is in this situation. Help?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2011 #2
    q in this case is the fundamental unit of charge. Both the electron and proton have the same magnitude of charge, but opposite. Since you're dealing with a single electron and proton, q is just 1.60E-19 Coulombs; sign depending on which particle you're examining.

4. Nov 3, 2011 #3
    But since they have equal and opposite charges, wouldn't that make q=0 which then makes the entire solution 0. Or does it have to do something with their midpoint in this problem?

5. Nov 3, 2011 #4
    These are non-moving point charges. There are a couple of other relationships that I might try to use to examine this scenario. One is the electric field of a point charge. The other is the forces between two charged particles separated by a distance r.

Try it. :-)

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  6. Nov 3, 2011 #5
    q would only = 0 if the two particles were coincident. But to hopefully get you pointed in the right direction: the electric field of a dipole is not zero (except in the limit as r-->infinity.) Moreover, electric fields of point charges superimpose, just as forces do. So the pointcharge model--if you consider both the proton and the electron simultaneously--should get you there.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook