Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating electrical energy over time

1. Apr 12, 2013 #1
    Hello,

Let's say I am generating 5 amp at a constant 1 volt and storing it in a battery without any loss of energy. The question is what am I adding to the battery? Am I adding power as a function of time or is it something else? So say if I were to calculate how much energy has accumulated after 5 hours how would I do that?

Thank you.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2013 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

P=VI
    E=PT

Power is energy added per unit time.

4. Apr 13, 2013 #3
    Ah I see, thank you.

5. Apr 13, 2013 #4
    Amp means coulomb per second. Volt means Joule per coulomb.
    therefor V x I means Joules per second = power.
    power x time = energy in Joules

6. Apr 13, 2013 #5
    What if my voltage isn't constant? Doesn't that mean that my power isn't constant either? And doesn't E=PT rely on constant power?

7. Apr 13, 2013 #6
    you would then find yourself talking about 'instantaneous power'. If the voltage changes presumably the current also changes.
    An interesting example is in AC circuits where V and I are changing and can be out of step.

8. Apr 13, 2013 #7
    what do you mean by instantaneous power? Wait do you mean to take the integral of the power function with respect to time?

9. Apr 13, 2013 #8
    Sure.

You're right again. [itex]E(t) = \int_{t0}^t P(\tau) \mathrm{d}\tau[/itex] is true in general.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook