Energy within an electric field

In summary, the conversation revolves around calculating the energy within an electric field generated by a pulse between two plates. The equation ## E = \frac{1}{2}CV^2 ## is mentioned, along with the use of ##V_{rms}## and ##V_{max}## measured on an oscilloscope and the C value measured by an LCR meter. The use of ##\operatorname{sinc} x## as the pulse wave is discussed, as well as the integration of this function to find the energy within the electric field. The question of using ##\displaystyle \int i \;dt ## or ##\displaystyle \int \frac{V}{R} \;dt ## is raised, and
BvU said:
Bhope69199 said:
I have the oscilloscope data. I cropped the data so I have one wavelength of the pulse.
Can you explain what this means ?
Did I miss the answer ?

Bhope69199 said:
Yes the pulse is very similar to your image but not exact.

Your reluctance to show the image is almost commendable.

So on the scope you almost see
1612097137772.png

Re-read post #20: ##x = \pi\ ## corresponds to t = 75 ##\mu##s, so ## a = 75 \mu s /\pi\ ## $$

10 \,\text{kV} \ \int_{-\infty}^\infty \operatorname {sinc} \left (t\over a\right ) \, dt= 0.75\,{\text Vs} $$
Bhope69199 said:
What would you like a picture of? The setup is a pulse source connected to a capacitor and the voltage drop across the capacitor is measured.
Your reluctance to show a schematic of the setup is also almost commendable.
Fortunately you dedicate a few words to it, so we can try to erverse engineer what we are talking and confusing each other about since Thursday:
Bhope69199 said:
Oscilloscope 1MΩ impedance, Scope 900MΩ impedance. Not sure of the impedance of the pulse generating device but the resistance is approx. 9kΩ.
So what is it ? 1MΩ or 900MΩ ? I hope the latter...
Now let's try to reproduce our excavations and draw the circuit:

1612098703705.png

which, according to your description, might be equivalent to

1612099063095.png

which means the capacitor discharges over the 9 k##\Omega## in about 70 ns. [edit: 0.7 ##\mu##s]

I can't for the life of me understand how the pulse generator can come up with such a weird pulse shape, but other than that it looks like we have a bad case of impedance mismatching with ringing as a consequence.

Without further context in more detail it's hard to say anything sensible about this.

##\ ##

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes your interpretation is correct! Apologies I meant probe impedance is 900MΩ (scope impedance is 1MΩ).

What further context would you need?

From the posts I believe I have found out the energy within the capacitor at a specific time during the pulse. Now what I would like to understand is how to calculate the energy delivered by the pulse generator over 1 second.

Bhope69199 said:
What further context would you need?
Brand name and type number of the pulse generator, so I can look up the specs :smile:
And what's on the scope if you remove the 80 pF capacitor :rolleyes: (if the probe can stand the pulse ...)
Bhope69199 said:
From the posts I believe I have found out the energy within the capacitor at a specific time during the pulse.
Freedom of religion, but I have hard time believing it...

Bhope69199 said:
Now what I would like to understand is how to calculate the energy delivered by the pulse generator over 1 second.
Basically zero: whatever is pumped into the capacitor is almost immediately dissipated again by the 9 k##\Omega## :smile: .

But you could do ##(\int E(t)\,dt )/(\int \,dt )\ ##
IF (big IF) indeed the voltage over the capacitor is ##V(t) = \operatorname {sinc} {\pi t \over 75 \mu{\text s}} ## then ##E= {1\over 2} \int CV^2\, dt ## (over 1 pulse) times 4 pulses/s

##\ ##

Great, thanks.

BvU said:
Brand name and type number of the pulse generator, so I can look up the specs :smile:
And what's on the scope if you remove the 80 pF capacitor :rolleyes: (if the probe can stand the pulse ...)
##\ ##

It is a bespoke made generator so no specs. Open circuit the pulse is the same shape but about 20% larger in both amplitude and width.

BvU said:
Basically zero: whatever is pumped into the capacitor is almost immediately dissipated again by the 9 k##\Omega## :smile: .
##\ ##
OK but even if it is dissipated into the 9kΩ there would have been a draw from the power supply surely?. So how do we calculate that energy coming from the power supply?

BvU said:
But you could do ##(\int E(t)\,dt )/(\int \,dt )\ ##
IF (big IF) indeed the voltage over the capacitor is ##V(t) = \operatorname {sinc} {\pi t \over 75 \mu{\text s}} ## then ##E= {1\over 2} \int CV^2\, dt ## (over 1 pulse) times 4 pulses/s

##\ ##

Isn't it times 250 pulses in a second? 250Hz, is a pulse every 4ms isn't it?

Of course. I mixed up the 250 and the 4. So: yes.

Bhope69199 said:
Open circuit the pulse is the same shape but about 20% larger in both amplitude and width.
Most peculiar. I know a capacitor causes lag in a signal. But I never expect lead ...
Or are the peaks shifted in time ?

BvU said:
Of course. I mixed up the 250 and the 4. So: yes.Most peculiar. I know a capacitor causes lag in a signal. But I never expect lead ...
Or are the peaks shifted in time ?

The peaks are actually shifted in time.