Calculating energy from the Lagrangian

In summary, the two different solutions have different signs for the second term in the energy equation. One solution has a positive energy, while the other has a negative energy.
mjordan2nd

Homework Statement

While doing a problem I have found the Lagrangian to be [itex]L=\frac{1}{2}m \dot{r}^2 \left( 1 + 4a^2r^2 \right) + \frac{1}{2}mr^2 \dot{\theta}^2 -mgar^2[/itex]. I have also shown that the angular momentum l is constant and is equal to [itex]l=mr^2 \dot{\theta}[/itex]. I want to calculate the energy given this. I am getting two different answers based on how I do the problem and I'm not sure I understand why.

Homework Equations

[tex]E=\sum_{\alpha} \dot{q}^{\alpha} \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q}^{\alpha}} - L[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

If I substitute the angular momentum into the Lagrangian first my Lagrangian becomes

[tex]L=\frac{1}{2}m \dot{r}^2 \left( 1 + 4a^2r^2 \right) + \frac{l^2}{2mr^2}-mgar^2.[/tex]

To get the energy I only have to sum the r variable in the energy equation, which gives me an energy equal to

[tex]E=\frac{1}{2}m \dot{r}^2 \left( 1 + 4a^2r^2 \right) - \frac{l^2}{2mr^2} + mgar^2.[/tex]

However, if I take the first Lagrangian, plug it into the energy equation this time summing for both r and theta, and then substitute in the angular momentum I get

[tex]E=\frac{1}{2}m \dot{r}^2 \left( 1 + 4a^2r^2 \right) + \frac{l^2}{2mr^2} + mgar^2.[/tex]

Basically the sign of my second term is different. Intuitively, the second one seems correct but I don't quite understand what is wrong with the first approach. If I look at the solutions manual for the problem the angular momentum is plugged in directly to the Lagrangian, but the solution still comes out with an energy where all terms are positive. Can someone help me out with what's going on here?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Your first method is not legal. You cannot eliminate a variable before taking the partial derivative.

See the example: f(x,y)= x+y. Determine the partial derivatives in case when y=x.

With the correct method [itex]\partial f/ \partial x =1[/itex], [itex]\partial f/ \partial y =1[/itex]

With your method, [itex]f(x,y)=2x[/itex], [itex]\partial f/ \partial x =2[/itex]. Is it correct? Now you calculated the directional derivative along the line y=x. It is not the partial derivative.

ehild

1. What is the Lagrangian and how is it related to energy?

The Lagrangian is a mathematical function used in classical mechanics to describe the motion of a system. It is defined as the difference between the kinetic energy and potential energy of the system. Energy can be calculated from the Lagrangian using the Euler-Lagrange equations.

2. How is energy calculated from the Lagrangian?

The energy of a system can be calculated from the Lagrangian by using the Euler-Lagrange equations, which relate the Lagrangian to the equations of motion of the system. These equations take into account the kinetic and potential energy of the system and can be used to derive the equations of motion for the system.

3. What is the significance of calculating energy from the Lagrangian?

Calculating energy from the Lagrangian allows us to understand the dynamics of a system in terms of its potential and kinetic energies. This can provide insight into the behavior of the system and help us predict its future motion.

4. Can energy be conserved when calculated from the Lagrangian?

Yes, energy is conserved when calculated from the Lagrangian. This is because the Euler-Lagrange equations are derived from the principle of least action, which states that the path a system takes between two points in time is the one that minimizes the action, or the integral of the Lagrangian over time.

5. Are there any limitations to calculating energy from the Lagrangian?

While calculating energy from the Lagrangian is a powerful tool in classical mechanics, it does have its limitations. It is only applicable to systems with conservative forces and can become more complex when dealing with non-conservative forces. Additionally, it may not accurately describe systems at the quantum level.