Calculating Energy Received by a Human Eardrum at Threshold of Hearing

  • Thread starter Thread starter Cheezay
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Energy Per
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 8K views
Cheezay
Messages
26
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


The radius of a typical human eardrum is about 4.10 mm. Calculate the energy per second received by an eardrum when it listens to sound that is at the threshold of hearing, assumed to be 1.04E-12 W/m^2.


Homework Equations


I=P/A


The Attempt at a Solution


First i start by converting 4.10mm to m, for which i get .0041m.

The rest seems simple:
Intensity= 1.04E-12 W/m^2
Area= 4(pi)(r^2)

plugging in my numbers i get 1.04E-12 W/m^2= P/.000211

Then I solve for P, because power=Energy per time and is expressed in W.
This problem seems like it should be simple. I really have no idea where i am making the mistake, any help would be greatly appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm assuming the eardrum is roughly circular. Hence:

[tex]A = \pi r^2[/tex]
 
Thanks for the help, that's what i was doing wrong :)