Decibels, Waves, Kinetic Energy and Mosquitos

In summary, the sound intensity level is 115 dB, a fan at a rock concert is 35.0 m from the stage, and a mosquito has a mass of 2.00 mg. If you need help with this question, you should double check your masses.
Northbysouth

Homework Statement

A fan at a rock concert is 35.0 m from the stage, and at this point the sound intensity level is 115 dB . Sound is detected when a sound wave causes the tympanic membrane (the eardrum) to vibrate . Typically, the diameter of this membrane is about 8.40 mm in humans

A) How much energy is transferred to her eardrums each second ?

B) How fast would a 2.00 mg mosquito have to fly to have this much kinetic energy?

C) How fast a typical 2.0 {\rm mg} mosquito would have to fly mm/s to have an amount of energy delivered to the eardrum each second when someone whispers 20 dB a secret in your ear?

D) Compare the mosquito's speeds found in parts (B) and (C).
Please enter your answer as a number (factor) without the units.

Homework Equations

Area of a circle = pi*r^2
β = 10log(I/IO) where is the sound intensity level,
IO = 10^-12
I = intensity per unit area = P/A where P is power and A is the surface are

K =0.5*m*v^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to answer part A by doing the following:

β = 10log(I/IO)
I = IO10/10
I = (10-12 W/M^2)*10(115/10)
I = 0.326228 W/M^2

Then, knowing the intensity per unit area I multiplied the I by the surface area of the eardrum, which is

pi*(0.00420 m)2*0.316228 W/m2

E = 17.5 μJ

Part B is where I'm stuck; I'm pretty sure it should be

Ke = 0.5*m*v2

Thus I have:

v = sqrt(2*(0.0000175246 kgm^2/s^2)/0.002 kg)
v = 0.13238 m/s

But the system doesn't accept it. So, what silly mistake am I making?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you still need help with this question, you should double check your masses.

The mass of the mosquito is given to us as 2.00 mg. You have the right equation KE=1/2mv^2 but the m needs to be in kg.

Afterwards, solve for v like you were doing before.

I have managed to solve this now and you're right about the masses. It should be:

(17.5x10^-6) = 0.5*(2x10^-6)v^2

Thus solving for v I get

V = 4.19 m/s

I mistook 2.00 mg to be equal to 0.002 kg which was a silly mistake to make.

Thanks for your input.

What is a decibel?

A decibel (dB) is a unit used to measure the intensity or loudness of sound. It is a logarithmic scale, meaning that small changes in decibel levels represent large changes in the actual sound intensity.

How are sound waves created?

Sound waves are created when an object vibrates, causing molecules in the air to vibrate as well. These vibrations travel through the air as a series of compressions and rarefactions, which our ears interpret as sound.

What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its motion. It is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by the square of its velocity and dividing by 2. In the case of sound, the molecules vibrating in a medium have kinetic energy that is transferred to our ears as sound waves.

How does kinetic energy relate to sound levels?

Sound levels, or loudness, are directly related to the kinetic energy of the sound waves. The higher the kinetic energy of the molecules in the medium, the louder the sound will be. This is why larger and faster-moving objects tend to produce louder sounds.

Why are mosquitos annoyingly loud?

Mosquitos produce a high-pitched buzzing sound by rapidly beating their wings. This sound is in the range of 20,000 to 30,000 hertz, which is at the upper limit of human hearing. This, combined with the fact that mosquitos are often close to our ears when they fly, makes them seem annoyingly loud to us.