Calculating energy savings using a variable speed drive

In summary, the factory process water distribution system consists of a 150mm cast iron ring main at a pressure of 5 bar (50m). The local water is pumped into the factory water ring main from a storage tank. The pressure in the water ring main is presently controlled by the pressure relief valve which diverts excess water back into the storage tank. This system causes the water pump to be fully loaded at all times. The factory works a 46 week year and runs continuously seven days per week. The cost per killowatt hour to be £0.08 when calculating the annual savings in energy costs is £0.008. Without the use of a variable speed drive, the power required to run the pump is 37 kW. With the
nothing909

Homework Statement

I have a task right now that requires me to calculate the energy savings that would be made by using a variable speed drive.

Question:

The factory process water distribution system consists of a 150mm cast iron ring main at a pressure of 5 bar (50m). The local water is pumped into the factory water ring main from a storage tank.

Water ring main pressure and flow rates produced by this pump are mechanically controlled by a pressure relief valve. This method of control causes the motor to run near the top end of the power range on a continuous basis while the plant is in operation.

The pressure in the water ring main is presently controlled by the pressure relief valve which diverts excess water back into the storage tank. This system causes the water pump to be fully loaded at all times.

The factory works a 46 week year and runs continuously seven days per week as shown on the process bar chart.

Assume the cost per killowatt hour to be £0.08 when calculating the annual savings in energy costs

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
There's 4 different flow rates:

50m3/h
80m3/h
100m3/h
170m3/h

From the pump chacateristics graph, you can see that the power required for each flow rate is (going along from 50m head)

50m3/h = 13kW
80m3/h = 16kW
100m3/h = 18.5kW
170m3/h = 33kW

The motors efficiency is 90% so the power into motor is

50m3/h = 13kW / 0.9 = 14.44kW
80m3/h = 16kW / 0.9 = 17.78kW
100m3/h = 18.5kW / 0.9 = 20.6kW
170m3/h = 33kW / 0.9 = 36.7kW

I'm stuck from here. I need to calculate what the price of energy per year is without the variable speed drive, and then calculate what the price is with the variable speed drive, and then subtract them to find the savings achieved per year.

On the pump characteristics graph, what is the thick black line referring to?

Is the powers I calculated with or without the variable speed drive?

Do I just add up all the powers and then calculate how much it costs to run it for 46 weeks? I don't understand.

Attachments

• Design.JPG
    Design.JPG
    22.4 KB · Views: 391
  • Motor specifications.JPG
    Motor specifications.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 456
  • Bar graph.JPG
    Bar graph.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 433
  • Pump characterisitcs.JPG
    Pump characterisitcs.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 433
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
nothing909 said:
On the pump characteristics graph, what is the thick black line referring to?

That's pump upper limit curve. eg the pump can only produce 65 bar from 0-80m^3/h. At higher flow rates the pressure falls off so that at about 190m^3/h the pressure is down to 50bar.

Without the variable speed drive the power can be calculated based on the statements in the problem...

nothing909 said:
Water ring main pressure and flow rates produced by this pump are mechanically controlled by a pressure relief valve. This method of control causes the motor to run near the top end of the power range on a continuous basis while the plant is in operation.

The pressure in the water ring main is presently controlled by the pressure relief valve which diverts excess water back into the storage tank. This system causes the water pump to be fully loaded at all times.

That appears to be about 37kW.

nothing909 said:
Is the powers I calculated with or without the variable speed drive?

With the variable drive.

You will be aware that Electricity is sold in units of kWH. At each flow rate you have calculated the power required in kW so the missing factor here is time. Use the bar graph to give you the time spent at each flow rate during the day in hours.

So for the first 6 hours the flow rate is 80m^3 and the power 17.78kW so the energy used in those 6 hours is 6 * 17.78 = 106.78 kWH

Can you just confirm for me if this is correct? :

To calculate the power used per year without a variable speed drive, I just do 41kW(37kW/0.9 because the motor is 90% efficient) x 24(per day) x 7(per week) x 46 (runs continuously for 46 weeks a year)

and to calculate with a variable speed drive, I just look at the bar graph and since there are different power requirements throughout the day, I just go through it adding up the power required at each part of the day? After I have it for a day, I just x7 x 46, to find it for a year?

Then to calculate the power savings, I just subtract the power without the variable speed from the the power with the variable speed drive and multiply it by £0.08?

That all looks correct to me.

nothing909 said:
I just go through it adding up the power required at each part of the day?

Just to be sure.. You are adding up energy not power...

CWatters said:
So for the first 6 hours the flow rate is 80m^3 and the power 17.78kW so the energy used in those 6 hours is 6 * 17.78 = 106.78 kWH

What is a variable speed drive and how does it work?

A variable speed drive (VSD) is an electronic device that adjusts the speed of a motor by varying the frequency of the electrical power supplied to it. It works by converting the incoming power supply into a direct current (DC) and then converting it back to an alternating current (AC) at a variable frequency.

How does a variable speed drive save energy?

A VSD can save energy by adjusting the speed of a motor to match the required load, rather than running at a constant speed. This means that the motor only uses the necessary amount of power to meet the demand, resulting in lower energy consumption and cost.

What factors should be considered when calculating energy savings using a variable speed drive?

The key factors to consider when calculating energy savings using a VSD are the initial motor speed, the required speed for the application, the duty cycle of the motor, and the cost of energy. Other factors such as motor efficiency and maintenance costs may also impact the overall energy savings.

What are the potential drawbacks of using a variable speed drive?

One potential drawback is that VSDs can be more expensive to install and maintain compared to traditional fixed speed motors. Additionally, using a VSD may require additional training for operators and maintenance personnel.

Are there any other benefits of using a variable speed drive besides energy savings?

Yes, there are several other benefits of using a VSD, including improved process control, reduced wear and tear on equipment, and increased motor lifespan. VSDs can also help reduce noise and vibration levels in the operation of motors.