How to calculate energy used in a variable speed drive

In summary, The conversation is about a lab experiment comparing the energy savings of using a variable speed drive (VSD) with an AC motor on full load and using a tap to reduce water flow. There is some confusion about the use of a bladder tank and how to calculate the additional energy consumed. The experiment aims to show how the VSD saves money by varying the unit energy per time, resulting in a differing amount of power consumed. The additional power needed to overcome the pressure drop caused by the tap is also discussed.
mink_man

Homework Statement

We'll be running a vsd water pump. We'll be seeing the energy savings of using a vsd, instead of using an AC motor on full load and using a tap to reduce water flow. Sorry for the lack of info.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm sure it will have something to do with mass flow rates or something. But I'm not sure how I'll calculate the energu

Physics news on Phys.org
I thought some form of bladder tank was used with normal pumps to match the flow rate from the pump to the outlet? eg pump runs until the tank is full then switches off. When you turn on the tap the tank delivers water without running the pump. That continues until the tank is nearly empty then the pump kicks in again. That way the pump is never restricted or loaded up with a partially open tap. I suppose there must be some additional energy consumed inflating the bladder but no idea how to calculate that.

Thanks for your reply, but I think you misunderstood.

We're just running a lab experiment to show how a variable speed drive saves money.

We want to run an AC pump at full throttle, then put a restriction in the pipe to reduce mass flow rate. Then we'll run the VSD at a lower speed with no restriction to get the same mass flow rate.

In a math model, the energy consumed is the area under the curve of a function, in this case of unit energy per time. For a full throttle motor, the area under the curve is rectangular. For a variable drive, that unit energy per time can vary, resulting in a differing amount of power consumed

Hope this helps

I believe the power loss in a restriction/tap is

ΔP * Q

where ΔP is the pressure drop and Q the flow rate. I believe that's the additional power that will need to be provided by the full speed motor (plus losses in the motor).

1. How does a variable speed drive affect energy usage?

A variable speed drive (VSD) controls the speed of an electric motor, allowing it to operate at different speeds according to the load and application. By adjusting the speed of the motor, a VSD can significantly reduce the amount of energy used compared to a fixed speed motor.

2. What is the formula for calculating energy usage in a VSD?

The formula for calculating energy usage in a VSD is: Power (kW) x Time (hours) x Load (%) x Efficiency (%) x Cost of electricity ($/kWh). This takes into account the power output of the motor, the amount of time it is running, the load it is operating at, the efficiency of the VSD, and the cost of electricity.

3. How does the load affect energy usage in a VSD?

The load, or the amount of work being done by the motor, directly affects the energy usage in a VSD. The higher the load, the more energy is required to power the motor. This is why a VSD is beneficial, as it can adjust the speed of the motor to match the load and reduce energy consumption.

4. What is the efficiency of a VSD and how does it impact energy usage?

The efficiency of a VSD is the ratio of output power to input power, expressed as a percentage. A higher efficiency means that less energy is wasted in the conversion process, resulting in lower energy usage. It is important to choose a VSD with a high efficiency to maximize energy savings.

5. Can a VSD save energy in all applications?

While a VSD can save energy in many applications, it may not be suitable for all. VSDs are most effective in applications with varying loads, such as pumps and fans. In applications with constant loads, such as conveyors, a VSD may not result in significant energy savings. It is important to consider the specific application and load when determining if a VSD is the best choice for energy efficiency.