1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating final velocity after a puck is hit

1. Oct 15, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Bob passes a 0.220kg puck with an initial velocity of 12m/s [South] to Dave. Dave one-times the puck with a force of 368N [N30E] if Daves stick is in contact with the puck for 0.250s what is the final velocity?

2. Relevant equations
    i honestly don't know where to start with this one, if you can tell me what i first need to solve for i should be able to go from there

3. The attempt at a solution

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2016 #2

billy_joule

Science Advisor

Look in your course notes and/or text book for "Impulse".

As the question is, it can't be solved, we don't know the initial direction of the puck.

4. Oct 15, 2016 #3
    sorry the initial directon is south

5. Oct 15, 2016 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello kinghunter. Welcome to PF !

What quantities are you given? What do you need to find ?

Consider using the Impulse - Momentum Theorem.

You will need to show an attempt before we can give you any more help.

6. Oct 15, 2016 #5
    i believe the initial velocity when dave hits the puck is 12m/s (carried over from the initial pass), he hits it with a force of 368N [N30E], its in contact with his stick for 0.25s (acceleration period) and the mass of the puck is 0.22kg so what i did is F=ma and a=v/t F=m(vf-vi/t)
    vf=F(t)+vi / m
    =368N(0.25s)+12m/s / 0.22kg
    but then i get an unrealistic number = 472.7m/s

7. Oct 15, 2016 #6

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

For one thing your units are don't work out in several places, partly because you ignore placing parentheses adequately.

Beyond that: Force, velocity and acceleration are all vector quantities. A force in the east - west direction will only cause acceleration in the east - west direction so only changes the component of velocity in the east - west direction. The component of velocity in the north - south direction will remain unchanged at 12 m/s [south] .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted