Calculating Final Volume of Ideal Gas with Isobaric and Adiabatic Expansion

  • Thread starter Thread starter satanic
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Thermodynamics
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
satanic
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A balloon has 0.310 mol of polyatomics gas, Initial volume 7500cm³ and temp 29 degrees C, gas first expands isobarically until volume double. Then expands adiabatiacally until temp returns to initial value, assume gas is ideal gas, C_p = 33.26 J/mol*K, gamma = 4/3.

What is the final volume V?


Homework Equations



I think I have to use
PV = nRT
T_1V_1^(gamma-1) = T_2V_2^(gamma-1)

The Attempt at a Solution



I've tried to find the temperature after it expands isobarically and use that as the T1 value, I think this is the only trouble I'm facing here, after that I can find V_2 and add all volumes together, please guide me on how to find T after the isobaric expansion.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
satanic said:

Homework Statement



A balloon has 0.310 mol of polyatomics gas, Initial volume 7500cm³ and temp 29 degrees C, gas first expands isobarically until volume double. Then expands adiabatiacally until temp returns to initial value, assume gas is ideal gas, C_p = 33.26 J/mol*K, gamma = 4/3.

What is the final volume V?


Homework Equations



I think I have to use
PV = nRT
T_1V_1^(gamma-1) = T_2V_2^(gamma-1)

The Attempt at a Solution



I've tried to find the temperature after it expands isobarically and use that as the T1 value, I think this is the only trouble I'm facing here, after that I can find V_2 and add all volumes together, please guide me on how to find T after the isobaric expansion.
I will assume this is an ideal gas. So PV=nRT which means that T = PV/nR. If P is constant ΔT = ΔV(P/nR). Remember T is in Kelvins so the initial temperature 29C is what in Kelvin?

AM