Calculating force from distance traveled and initial speed of projectile

In summary, to estimate the average force exerted by a shot-putter on a 7.0-kg shot, we use the equation F=ma and the concept of average force as the change in momentum divided by the elapsed time. Plugging in the given values, we get an average force of 116.67 N.
Felchi

Homework Statement

Estimate the average force exerted by a shot-putter on a 7.0-kg shot if the shot is moved through a distance of 3.0m and is released with a speed of 10m/s .

Homework Equations

F=ma
Maybe the Five Equations for constant acceleration?

The Attempt at a Solution

So my guess is that I need to find acceleration. I tried:

v_f^2=v_i^2+2ad
0^2=10m/s^2+2(a)3m
0=100 m^2/s^2+6m(a)
(-100 m^2/s^2)/6m=a
16.67m/s^2=a

So
F=7kg*16.67m/s^2
F=116.67

But I was told this is wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
Felchi said:

Homework Statement

Estimate the average force exerted by a shot-putter on a 7.0-kg shot if the shot is moved through a distance of 3.0m and is released with a speed of 10m/s .

Homework Equations

F=ma
Maybe the Five Equations for constant acceleration?

The Attempt at a Solution

So my guess is that I need to find acceleration. I tried:

v_f^2=v_i^2+2ad
0^2=10m/s^2+2(a)3m
0=100 m^2/s^2+6m(a)
(-100 m^2/s^2)/6m=a
16.67m/s^2=a

So
F=7kg*16.67m/s^2
F=116.67

But I was told this is wrong
The key to this question, I believe, is the phrase "average force," which is the change in momentum divided by the elapsed time.
$$\bar{F} = \frac{m(v_f - v_i)}{\Delta t}$$

1. How do I calculate force from distance traveled and initial speed of projectile?

To calculate the force of a projectile, you can use the formula F = ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration. In this case, you can use the distance traveled and initial speed of the projectile to calculate the acceleration. Once you have the acceleration, you can plug it into the formula to find the force.

2. What units should I use for distance and speed when calculating force?

When calculating force from distance traveled and initial speed of projectile, it is important to use consistent units. For distance, you can use meters or feet, and for speed, you can use meters per second or feet per second. Just make sure that the units match when plugging them into the formula.

3. Can I use this formula for any type of projectile?

Yes, the formula F = ma can be used for any type of projectile, whether it is a ball thrown by hand or a rocket launched into space. However, it is important to note that the mass and acceleration may vary depending on the type of projectile.

4. Can I calculate the force of a projectile in motion?

Yes, you can calculate the force of a projectile in motion as long as you have the distance traveled and initial speed. However, if the projectile is experiencing external forces, such as air resistance, the calculated force may not be entirely accurate.

5. Is there any other information I need to calculate force from distance traveled and initial speed?

In addition to the distance traveled and initial speed, you will also need the mass of the projectile. This can usually be found by weighing the object or looking up its mass in a reference book. Without the mass, you will not be able to accurately calculate the force.