Initial Speed and Projectile Motion

That is, don't just add the numbers; draw a picture.In summary, the problem involves a golf ball's projectile motion over level ground, reaching a height of 4.98m and a horizontal range of 24.8m. The initial speed of the ball is unknown and needs to be found using the given information. Using the constant acceleration equations, the time for the entire parabolic motion is found to be 2.0162604s. The components of the final velocity are then calculated and using the Pythagorean theorem, the initial speed of the ball is found to be 24.612m/s.
Rubber Ducky

Homework Statement

The path of a golf ball over level ground reaches a height of 4.98m and a horizontal range of 24.8m. What is the ball's initial speed?

So it's a projectile motion problem. I draw a graph showing the parabolic trajectory of the ball, with the start point at the origin. It's final x = 24.8m and final y = 0m

Homework Equations

We have three constant acceleration equations we use in my course:

[tex]\vec{v}_{fx} = \vec{v}_{ix} + \vec{a}_{x}t[/tex]

Ensuring everything is in the same direction (vertical or horizontal), final velocity = initial velocity + acceleration * time

[tex]\vec{x}_{f} = \vec{x}_{i} + \vec{v}_{ix}t + \frac{1}{2}\vec{a}_{x}t^2[/tex]

Looks like an integral. Final position = initial position + initial velocity * time + half acceleration * t squared

[tex]\vec{v}_{fx}^2 = \vec{v}_{ix}^2 + 2\vec{a}_{x}Δ\vec{x}[/tex]

Final velocity squared = initial velocity squared + double acceleration * displacement

The Attempt at a Solution

My prof posted a video meant to give hints that will help us get started on the problem. I can try linking it here, though I'm not sure it'll work:

https://dal.echo360.com:8443/ess/echo/presentation/7b597979-18b5-413e-8a63-0aca1db8801d

Basically what it says is that, the motion is parabolic, I know the max height, and we know from class that the velocity at a projectile at max height is 0.

I then draw a graph with only half the parabola, starting at (x,y) = (0,4.98) and ending at (24.8, 0).

Then I have:

[tex]\vec{a}_{y} = -9.8m/s/s[/tex]
[tex]\vec{v}_{iy} = 0m/s[/tex]
[tex]\vec{y}_{i} = 4.98m[/tex]
[tex]\vec{x}_{f} = 24.8m[/tex]
[tex]t = ?[/tex]
[tex]vf = ?[/tex]

I use the second equation I listed above to find t:

[tex]0m = 4.98m + (0m/s)t + 1/2(-9.8m/s/s)t^2[/tex]
[tex]0m = 4.98m - (4.98m/s/s)t^2[/tex]
[tex](4.9m/s/s)t^2 = 4.98m[/tex]
[tex]t = 1.0081302s[/tex]

I keep in mind that this is only the time for half the parabola, so if I use this for the whole thing, I will need to double it.

We know from class also that the velocity at the end of a projectile's path is equal to but opposite in direction of the initial velocity. We also know that if we find the x and y components of the final velocity, we can add them to obtain the final velocity.

For the y component, I use equation 2 from above:

[tex]\vec{v}_{fy} = \vec{v}_{iy} + \vec{a}_{y}t[/tex]
[tex]\vec{v}_{fy} = 0m/s + (-9.8m/s/s)(1.0081302s)[/tex]
[tex]\vec{v}_{fy} = -9.87968m/s[/tex]

For the x component, I use equation 2 (acceleration along x is always 0m/s/s for projectiles, we learned in class):

[tex]\vec{x}_{f} = \vec{x}_{i} + \vec{v}_{ix}t + \frac{1}{2}\vec{a}_{x}t^2
[tex]24.8m = 0m + (\vec{v}_{ix})(1.0081302s) + 0[/tex]
[tex]24.8m = (1.0081302s)\vec{v}_{ix}[/tex]
[tex]\vec{v}_{ix} = 24.599997m/s[/tex]
This is where my main problem is. I'm guessing I did all of the above correctly, because it was simply subbing into the equations. I'm just not sure how to get the initial SPEED when I have the VELOCITY components.

Hopefully this is easy enough to understand, and thanks for all who read.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Rubber Ducky said:
I then draw a graph with only half the parabola, starting at (x,y) = (0,4.98) and ending at (24.8, 0).
That first point is not part of the parabola. It reaches max height at half the horizontal range.

I use the second equation I listed above to find t:

[tex]0m = 4.98m + (0m/s)t + 1/2(-9.8m/s/s)t^2[/tex]
[tex]0m = 4.98m - (4.98m/s/s)t^2[/tex]
[tex](4.9m/s/s)t^2 = 4.98m[/tex]
[tex]t = 1.0081302s[/tex]

I keep in mind that this is only the time for half the parabola, so if I use this for the whole thing, I will need to double it.
OK.

For the y component, I use equation 2 from above:

[tex]\vec{v}_{fy} = \vec{v}_{iy} + \vec{a}_{y}t[/tex]
[tex]\vec{v}_{fy} = 0m/s + (-9.8m/s/s)(1.0081302s)[/tex]
[tex]\vec{v}_{fy} = -9.87968m/s[/tex]
OK.

For the x component, I use equation 2 (acceleration along x is always 0m/s/s for projectiles, we learned in class):

[tex]\vec{x}_{f} = \vec{x}_{i} + \vec{v}_{ix}t + \frac{1}{2}\vec{a}_{x}t^2
[tex]24.8m = 0m + (\vec{v}_{ix})(1.0081302s) + 0[/tex]
[tex]24.8m = (1.0081302s)\vec{v}_{ix}[/tex]
[tex]\vec{v}_{ix} = 24.599997m/s[/tex]
Don't forget that the time is for half the motion.

This is where my main problem is. I'm guessing I did all of the above correctly, because it was simply subbing into the equations. I'm just not sure how to get the initial SPEED when I have the VELOCITY components.
If you have the components of any vector, use the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude.

Thanks to both of you. I don't know how I managed to miss that while reviewing my notes.

I also seem to have done the x component wrong. The initial x position was 12.4m, not 0m, which gave me the correct answer with the pythagorean theorem. Thanks again.

Now if I want the initial velocity of the ball, I can just add both velocity components, correct?

Rubber Ducky said:
Now if I want the initial velocity of the ball, I can just add both velocity components, correct?
As long as you "add" them as vectors, sure.

1. What is initial speed in projectile motion?

Initial speed, also known as initial velocity, is the velocity at which a projectile is launched or thrown. It is the speed at the very beginning of the projectile's motion.

2. How is initial speed related to projectile motion?

Initial speed is one of the key factors that determines the trajectory of a projectile. It affects the height, range, and time of flight of the projectile.

3. How is initial speed calculated in projectile motion?

Initial speed can be calculated using the equation v0 = v0x + v0y, where v0 is the initial speed, v0x is the initial horizontal velocity, and v0y is the initial vertical velocity.

4. Can initial speed be changed during projectile motion?

Yes, initial speed can be changed by adjusting the launch angle or the force of the launch. This will result in a different trajectory for the projectile.

5. How does air resistance affect initial speed in projectile motion?

Air resistance can decrease the initial speed of a projectile by exerting a force in the opposite direction of its motion. This can result in a shorter range and a lower maximum height for the projectile.