Calculating Forces and Moments for Static Equilibrium of a Structure

  • Thread starter Thread starter Uhmazuba
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Forces Structure
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 1K views
Uhmazuba
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
So I have to do this question and I attempted this.
Can anyone go over this and see if I did it correctly. Another student from my class told me I had to use the torque in order to calculate Fab but I don't see how I would do that.

Schermafbeelding 2015-12-10 om 21.16.47.png


IMG_0959.JPG
 
Physics news on Phys.org
In order for the frame to be in static equilibrium, the sum of the forces and the sum of the moments about point A must each equal zero.

Your calculations appear to use only the sum of the forces. You need to write a moment equation about point A in order to solve this problem.

In simple terms, the moment of M about point A is balanced by the moment about point A of the normal force on the rollers at point B.