1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding splitting field and Galois group questions

1. Dec 5, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    2 questions here:

1)
    Let g(x) = x^6 - 10 be a polynomial in Q(c) where c is a primitive 6th root of unity. Find a splitting field for this polynomial and determine it's Galois group

2)
    let f(x) = x^3 + x^2 + 2 with coefficients in ##F_3##. Find a splitting field K for this polynomial and determine it's Galois group

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Question 1)
    If we adjoin b = the 6th real root of 10 to Q(c) then we have a splitting field. Furthermore, the roots of f will be {b, bc, bc^2, bc^3, bc^4, bc^5}. The Galois group will permute the roots whilst fixing every element of Q(c). So I believe this galois group will be isomorphic to ##(Z_6,+)## where the generator will take b-->bc and fix all elements of Q(c).

Question 2)
    I'm having trouble constructing a splitting field for this polynomial. If I assume r is a root and then divide f(x) by x-r I don't seem to arrive at anything helpful. Perhaps I should consider that the multiplicative group in F_7(r) will be cyclic of order 26 (since the degree of r is 3 and 3*9 = 27) so r^27=r, and then use this knowledge to see if any powers of r are also roots. Does this make sense? Does anyone else have any other insights to make this simpler?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2016 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

I think this is correct. Only one remark: you can say ##g(x)## is a polynomial over ##\mathbb{Q}(c)## or in ##\mathbb{Q}(c)[x]##.
    I don't understand why you consider ##\mathbb{F}_7## here or even ##\mathbb{Z}_{26}##.
    If you divided ##f(x)=x^3+x^2+2## by ##(x-r)## with a root ##r## such that ##r^3+r^2+2=0## then you can also do the rest and split ##f(x)## completely. If I made no mistake, then you will need ##\sqrt{r+1}## in the splitting field. Together with ##r^2## this looks like a four-dimensional extension of ##\mathbb{F}_3## but I didn't check linear dependencies.

4. Dec 8, 2016 #3
    I divided by x-r and then solved the resulting quadratic and calculated that it has a discriminant -3r^2 - 2r + 1. it appears our splitting fields will be a bit different.

5. Dec 8, 2016 #4

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

I don't think so. ##-3=0## and ##-2=1## in ##\mathbb{F}_3##. :smile:

6. Dec 8, 2016 #5
    Ahhh we are such genius's! lol

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted