1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Calculating How many load repititions can be applied before failure

1. Sep 19, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A metal rod having a diameter of 10 mm is subjected to a repeated tensile load. The material of the rod has a tensile strength of 290 MPa. How many load repetitions can be applied to this rod before it fails if the magnitude of the load is (a) 5 kN, and (b) 11 kN?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm really not sure how to go about setting this problem up, I was hoping someone out there could show me what I need to do first, second, etc.

I'm not looking for someone to do this for me, just looking for some advice on what I can do, or read to answer this question.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2010 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Jim4592: First, what is the fatigue strength of this material? Are you using an S-N curve? Can you post the S-N curve? Also, compute the applied tensile stress on the rod.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook