Calculating Kinetic Energy of a Rotational System with a Hanging Weight

  • Thread starter Thread starter CaptainSFS
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Rotational System
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 6K views
CaptainSFS
Messages
57
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A 15 kg uniform disk of radius R = 0.25 m has a string wrapped around it, and a m = 5 kg weight is hanging on the string. The system of the weight and disk is released from rest.

a) When the 5 kg weight is moving with a speed of 1.7 m/s, what is the kinetic energy of the entire system?

Homework Equations



v=[tex]\omega[/tex]R

I=[tex]\Sigma[/tex](m)(r)2

KE=(.5)(I)([tex]\omega[/tex])2

KEtotal = KEwheel + KEweight

The Attempt at a Solution



KE(wheel) = (.5)((15)(.25)2)((1.7)/(.25))2 = 21.675

+

KE(weight) = (.5)(5)(1.7)2 = 7.225

= 28.9 [This answer is incorrect though, I'm unsure as to what I'm doing incorrectly.]

Any help is much appreciated, thanks! :)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi CaptainSFS,

CaptainSFS said:

Homework Statement



A 15 kg uniform disk of radius R = 0.25 m has a string wrapped around it, and a m = 5 kg weight is hanging on the string. The system of the weight and disk is released from rest.

a) When the 5 kg weight is moving with a speed of 1.7 m/s, what is the kinetic energy of the entire system?

Homework Equations



v=[tex]\omega[/tex]R

I=[tex]\Sigma[/tex](m)(r)2

KE=(.5)(I)([tex]\omega[/tex])2

KEtotal = KEwheel + KEweight

The Attempt at a Solution



KE(wheel) = (.5)((15)(.25)2)((1.7)/(.25))2 = 21.675

This line is incorrect. It is saying that the rotational inertia I for this uniform disk is mr2, which is not true. There should be a table in your book that gives the formula for I for different shapes.
 
Thanks, :P. It needed that constant for a disk (1/2). Thanks for your help. :)