Calculating Limit of sin(1/x) - Product Law of Limits

• Thread starter username12345
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary: But it's not necessarily true that\lim_{x \rightarrow a} f(x)g(x) = \lim_{x \rightarrow a}f(x) \times \lim_{x \rightarrow a} g(x) unless you know that the limits of f(x) and g(x) both exist.But if they do both exist, then it's true.In summary, the limit of x^2sin(1/x) as x approaches 0 can be solved using the sandwich or squeeze rule, where -x^2 ≤ x^2sin(1/x) ≤ x^2. This can also be solved by factoring x out of the expression and using the fact that the limit of a
username12345

Homework Statement

Calculate [tex]\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to 0 } x^2 \sin \frac{1}{x}[/tex]

Homework Equations

"product law" of limits I think

The Attempt at a Solution

I took a guess at 0, as 1/x would become very large as x goes to 0, so sin would become a maximum of 1 but [tex]x^2[/tex] would become 0.

Is this actually the correct way to solve this limit problem? How should I actually express the answer, just put 0 or is there some intermediate working that can be shown?

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the sandwich rule.

-x2 ≤ x2 sin(1/x) ≤ x2

username12345 said:
Calculate [tex]\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to 0 } x^2 \sin \frac{1}{x}[/tex]

"product law" of limits I think

Is this actually the correct way to solve this limit problem? How should I actually express the answer, just put 0 or is there some intermediate working that can be shown?

Hi username12345! :smile:

Yes, the product law is the way …

just say it's lim{AB}, and |B| ≤ 1 … :wink:

I think you're tex'ing or mathml'ing is off, dx. Did you mean to write

[tex] -x^2 \le x^2\sin(1/x) \le x^2[/tex]

Yes, thanks matt. I corrected it.

dx said:
Use the sandwich rule.

-x2 ≤ x2 sin(1/x) ≤ x2

The text I have has a "squeeze law" which I think is the same. Looks the same.

OK I am trying to use this sandwhich rule, but it doesn't make sense to me.

[tex]\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to 1 } |x-1|\sin \frac{1}{x-1}[/tex]

By the product rule |x-1| we'd get 0 so the limit would be zero, but for fun I try squeeze.

[tex]-|x-1| \leq \sin \frac{1}{x-1} \leq |x-1|[/tex]
[tex]0 \leq \sin \frac{1}{x-1} \leq 0[/tex]

so, [tex]\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to 1 } |x-1|\sin \frac{1}{x-1} = 0[/tex]

What is odd to me is that as x tends to 1 [tex]\sin \frac{1}{x-1}[/tex] is not 0. For example when x is .999999999999 the result is 0.98.

Is this a different question?

For the original question, technically you cannot use the product rule because

[tex] \lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \sin \frac{1}{x} [/tex]

doesn't exist.

Yes, sorry, it is a different question.

You suggested to use sandwhich so rather than make a new thread I tried to apply it to a similar problem.

Ok,

Do you understand why

-|x-1|≤ |x-1|sin(1/|x-1|) ≤ |x-1|?

You forgot the |x-1| in the middle multiplying sin(1/|x-1|).

With |x-1| in the middle it makes more sense. My understanding though is limited to simply substituting x = 1 and evaluating the expression. I couldn't really explain it.

Thanks dx and to tiny-tim aswell.

I would just say that the limit is zero because x^2 goes to zero and the function sin(1/x) is bounded.

And I don't know if you're interested, but you can show that the limit of sin(1/x) as x->0 doesn't exist by letting f(x)=sin(1/x) and finding a sequence (Sn) that goes to zero but f(Sn) doesn't converge.

Shouldn't doing this work the same

[tex]x^2sin(\frac{1}{x})=x\frac{sin(\frac{1}{x})}{\frac{1}{x}}[/tex]

and then just use the fact that

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow a} f(x)g(x) = \lim_{x \rightarrow a}f(x) \times \lim_{x \rightarrow a} g(x)[/tex]

rock.freak667 said:
Shouldn't doing this work the same

[tex]x^2sin(\frac{1}{x})=x\frac{sin(\frac{1}{x})}{\frac{1}{x}}[/tex]

and then just use the fact that

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow a} f(x)g(x) = \lim_{x \rightarrow a}f(x) \times \lim_{x \rightarrow a} g(x)[/tex]

That's very clever.

Related to Calculating Limit of sin(1/x) - Product Law of Limits

1. What is the formula for calculating the limit of sin(1/x)?

The formula for calculating the limit of sin(1/x) is limx→0sin(1/x). This means we are finding the limit of the sine function as x approaches 0.

2. How do you apply the Product Law of Limits to sin(1/x)?

To apply the Product Law of Limits to sin(1/x), we first need to rewrite the function as sin(1/x) = 1/x * sin(x). Then, we can apply the Product Law, which states that the limit of a product is equal to the product of the limits. In this case, since the limit of 1/x as x approaches 0 is 0 and the limit of sin(x) as x approaches 0 is also 0, the limit of sin(1/x) using the Product Law is 0 * 0 = 0.

3. Can you use L'Hopital's Rule to calculate the limit of sin(1/x)?

No, L'Hopital's Rule cannot be applied to the limit of sin(1/x) because it is an indeterminate form of 0/0, which is not one of the forms that L'Hopital's Rule can be used on.

4. What is the graph of the function sin(1/x)?

The graph of sin(1/x) is a series of oscillations between -1 and 1 as x approaches 0 from both the positive and negative sides of the x-axis. The graph has a vertical asymptote at x=0 and becomes more and more tightly packed as x approaches 0.

5. How is the limit of sin(1/x) related to the squeeze theorem?

The limit of sin(1/x) is related to the squeeze theorem because the squeeze theorem states that if a function f(x) is sandwiched between two other functions g(x) and h(x), and the limit of g(x) and h(x) as x approaches a is equal, then the limit of f(x) as x approaches a is also equal to that shared limit. In the case of sin(1/x), it can be squeezed between the functions -1/x and 1/x, both of which have a limit of 0 as x approaches 0. Therefore, the limit of sin(1/x) is also equal to 0.