Calculating Liquid Mass in a Vat with Varying Diameter and Depth

  • Thread starter Thread starter jkb
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Liquid Pressure
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 5K views
jkb
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
A 1.90 m-diameter vat of liquid is 2.70 m deep. The pressure at the bottom of the vat is 1.30 atm. What is the mass of the liquid in the vat?

I found the density of the fluid but now I'm stuck and I really can't get my mind around this even though i know its going to turn out being so easy...thanks the help in advance!
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Density is given by

[tex]\rho = \frac{m}{V}[/tex]

so you need to determine the volume of liquid in the vat.
 
Well, since a vat can isn't necessarily a cylinder how would I go about doing that? I tried to assume the vat was a cylinder and found that volume but the answer wasn't correct.
 
why do you say that? what makes you think it is not a cylinder?
 
Well i used the volume of a cylinder formula and found the volume and then using the density i found the mass but that answer was incorrect and i don't think i made any mistakes in the calculation so that's where i got stuck...
 
jkb said:
Well i used the volume of a cylinder formula and found the volume and then using the density i found the mass but that answer was incorrect and i don't think i made any mistakes in the calculation so that's where i got stuck...
well the problem stated that there was a diameter and a depth IE an cylinder. can you show us your work?
 
It is not really sensible to talk of a diameter if it changes. Unless there is a mathematical formula for calculating the volume of such a vat shaped object.