1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time needed to half a volume of liquid

1. Jul 6, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A barrel, open on the top, full of water, has a radium ##R=0.25\text{ m}## and a height ##h=0.75\text{ m}##. At its base there is a hole where a pipe is attached. The pipe's length is ##\ell=1.0\text{ m}## and its radius ##r=0.0019\text{ m}##. I would like to find the time necessary for the barrel to lose half its content, if we know that the density of the liquid in the barrel is ##\rho=1.00\cdot 10^3\text{ kg/m}^3## and its viscosity ##\eta=2.5\cdot10^{-3}\text{ N sm}^{-2}##.

2. Relevant equations

I know the dependence of the pressure of a static fluid from its height ##h##:
    ##p=p_{\text{atm}}+\rho g h##,​
    Bernoulli's equation, which I do not think to be useful in such a context where the liquid is viscous, and the formula for the volume flow rate in a pipe having radius ##r## and length ##\ell## with the difference of pressure ##\Delta p## at its ends
    ##Q=\frac{\pi r^4\Delta p}{8\eta \ell}##​

3. The attempt at a solution

I think that the pressure at the bottom of the barrel is ##p=p_{\text{atm}}+\rho g h##, where ##p_{\text{atm}}## is the external pressure, and the pressure at the exit of the pipe is ##p_{\text{atm}}##, therefore ##\Delta p=\rho g h##
    ##\frac{dV}{dt}=:Q=\frac{\pi r^4 \rho g h}{8\eta \ell}=\frac{\pi r^4 \rho g \frac{V}{\pi R^2}}{8\eta \ell}##​
    The derivative of the inverse of ##t\mapsto V(t)## is
    ##\frac{dt}{dV}=\frac{1}{Q}=\frac{8\eta \ell R^2}{ r^4 \rho g V}##​
    and the fundamental theorem of calculus would give
    ##t\big(\frac{V}{2}\big)-t(0)=\int_0^{V/2} \frac{dt(v)}{dv}dv=\int_0^{V/2}\frac{8\eta \ell R^2}{ r^4 \rho g v}dv##​
    but this last integral diverges, which means that something went wrong, although I do not see where my error is...
    I heartily thank you for any answer!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2015 #2
    dV/dt = - Q (note the negative sign)

The volume is decreasing. Also, the starting volume is not zero, it is V0.

Chet

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  4. Jul 7, 2015 #3
    Thank you, Chestmiller! I understand your remark, but I intended ##V## to be the volume of water leaked out of the barrel.
    The flow rate of the volume leaving the barrel is ##-Q## and the flow rate of the the volume filling the exterior is ##Q##. I mathematically see that ##\int_{0}^{V_0/2}\frac{1}{Q}dV=+\infty\ne-\int_{V_0}^{V_0/2}\frac{1}{Q}dV## but I think that ##-\int_{V_0}^{V_0/2}\frac{1}{Q}dV## is the time needed for the barrel to "go" from the full volume ##V_0## to its half ##V_0/2## (this integral is finite and I think it to be the correct answer to the exercise) while ##\int_{0}^{V_0/2}\frac{1}{Q}dV## should be the time needed for the exterior to "go" from a dry state to host half the full volume: ##V_0/2##. I have some trouble to understand the reason why the two integral are not identical... Thank you so much again!!!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  5. Jul 7, 2015 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

But that's not the way you used it when substituting for ##\Delta p##.

6. Jul 7, 2015 #5
    I think I have understood now: the variable ##V=\pi R^2 h## in the integral is the volume of the water in the barrel, it is not the volume gone out of the pipe! :headbang:
    Thank you both!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted