Calculating Loads for Static Fan of 6,060kg: Help Needed

• Thread starter Peirianeg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fan Static
In summary, the attachment provides a frame in which a large fan is to be rested on. The fan is to remain static and has a weight of 6,060 kg and the location of the centre of gravity is shown in the attachment. Each frame member has a cross-section of 200h x 90w. I would like to know HOW to calculate the loads at each point.
Peirianeg
The attachment provided shows a frame in which a large fan is to be rested on. The fan is to remain static and has a weight of 6,060 kg and the location of the centre of gravity is shown in the attachment. Each frame member has a cross-section of 200h x 90w. I would like to know HOW to calculate the loads at each point. Could anyone please provide some help on this problem?

Attachments

• Frame Loading.jpg
    Frame Loading.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 409
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Are the points 1-8 the supports of the frame or the points at which the fan is to be attached to the frame?

The problem is statically indeterminate. To illustrate the problem, suppose that one of the mounts is sitting up a little higher than the others. Much of the weight would then be carried by that point while others did nothing. Of course in reality, the frame will have some give to help balance the load. The amount of give is not something that's very easy to solve by hand.

Is the fan going to be sitting on some vibration mounts? These would distribute the load and you can treat them like springs which makes the problem solvable.

Points 1-8 can be considered as vibration mounts in which the load is distributed.

Using the loads at each point I can then calculate the distribution percentage between the points to find out how evenly the load is being distributed.

It's still a tough problem to solve by hand since you have a big list of unknowns. You have the load at each point plus the resting height and angular rotation of the fan assembly.

The resting height of the fan is 267mm. You could take the shaft diameter to be 100mm (stainless steel) and the speed can be taken as 1300rpm. These values differ depending on the type of fan used though, but for this example these values should be sufficient. Anymore information required, just let me know.

There's almost enough information, but I think you may have missed the point that it's a set of 11 simultaneous equations that need to be solved. That isn't something you want to solve by hand. It's usually easier to treat the load as a point load and assume a worst case loading arrangement while leaving yourself a safety margin. But you'll need to consult a structural engineer familiar with the appropriate building codes to do this for you.

Okay, thanks for the advice. I will try and contact a structural engineer and see if I have any luck. Thanks again.

1. How do I calculate the load for a static fan of 6,060kg?

To calculate the load for a static fan, you will need to determine the weight of the fan, the weight of any additional components (such as motors or blades), and the weight of the air being moved by the fan. Once you have these values, you can use the formula Load = Weight + (Weight of Additional Components) + (Weight of Air). In this case, the load for a static fan of 6,060kg would be 6,060kg.

2. What is the purpose of calculating the load for a static fan?

Calculating the load for a static fan is important for determining the amount of force the fan needs to generate in order to move the required amount of air. This information is crucial for properly sizing the fan and ensuring that it can effectively perform its intended function.

3. What factors can impact the load calculation for a static fan?

The weight and size of the fan, as well as the weight and density of the air being moved, are the primary factors that can impact the load calculation for a static fan. Other factors such as friction, turbulence, and obstructions in the airflow can also affect the load calculation.

4. Can I use a standard load calculation formula for all types of static fans?

No, the load calculation formula may vary depending on the type and design of the static fan. It is important to consult the manufacturer's guidelines or specifications for the specific fan model to ensure an accurate calculation.

5. Are there any tools or software available to help with load calculations for static fans?

Yes, there are various tools and software programs available that can assist with load calculations for static fans. These programs use advanced algorithms and equations to accurately calculate the load based on the fan specifications and operating conditions. It is recommended to use these tools for more complex or precise calculations.