Calculating Maximum Permissible Current

In summary: I often get mixed up with the units and make very basic mistakes, something i need to work on thanks.
licklecee

Homework Statement

B) What is the maximum permissible current which can flow through a 1 watt resistor colour coded Brown, Black Orange, Gold ?

C ) what is the highest voltage that can be applied to the resistor in part ( B ) ?

Homework Equations

P = I^2 * R

The Attempt at a Solution

P = 1w
R = 10,000

I = sqrt(P/R)
I = sqrt(1/10,000)
I = sqrt 0.00001
I = 0.01 Ma

Variance Factor :

Gold = 5%

0.01 * 1.05 = 0.0105Ma

Maximum Current = 0.0105Ma

Can someone please double check this for me ? I'm struggling abit with this problem. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Recheck sqrt(1/10000) = sqrt(0.00001).

2. Why are you expressing current in mA?

3. Yes the tolerance is 5% but that should not be used to calculate maximum current. (The 5% refers to the resistance, so the resistance can vary from 9500 ohms to 10500 ohms. This means that in order to dissipate 1 W, the 9500 ohm resistor would require sqrt(1/9500) amps or 10.26 mA and the 10500 ohm resistor would require sqrt(1/10500) amps or 9.76 mA.) Note that a 5% change in resistance results in approximately 2.5% change in current.

oh okay,

1.so sqrt 0.00001 = 3.16

2. Would it be 3.16 amps then ?

3. Okay so is it correct to say that to calculate maximum current, i need to calculate the maximum resistance, using the tolerance of in this case 5 percent,. Then repeat the previous formulae I = sqrt(P/R) with the new resistance.

I = sqrt 1/10500
I = sqrt 9.523
I = 9.76 Ma

Thank you for your help. I often get mixed up with the units and make very basic mistakes, something i need to work on thanks..

licklecee said:
oh okay,

1.so sqrt 0.00001 = 3.16

2. Would it be 3.16 amps then ?

3. Okay so is it correct to say that to calculate maximum current, i need to calculate the maximum resistance, using the tolerance of in this case 5 percent,. Then repeat the previous formulae I = sqrt(P/R) with the new resistance.

I = sqrt 1/10500
I = sqrt 9.523
I = 9.76 Ma

Thank you for your help. I often get mixed up with the units and make very basic mistakes, something i need to work on thanks..

1. recalculate sqrt(1/10000) and watch your decimal places.

2. No.

Also to calculate the maximum voltage, would it be correct to say ...

V=IR
V = 9.76*9500 ( 9500 because that is the lowest resistance point )
V = 0.00976*9500
V = 92.72 volts

Thank you

1. What is the purpose of calculating maximum permissible current?

The purpose of calculating maximum permissible current is to determine the maximum amount of current that a particular circuit or electrical component can safely handle without becoming damaged or causing a potential safety hazard. This information is important for designing and operating electrical systems in a safe and efficient manner.

2. How do you calculate maximum permissible current?

The calculation for maximum permissible current involves several factors including the type and size of the electrical component, the material it is made of, and the operating conditions such as temperature and voltage. The formula typically used is Max Permissible Current = (Operating Voltage / Resistance) or I = (V/R).

3. What is the relationship between maximum permissible current and resistance?

The relationship between maximum permissible current and resistance is inverse. This means that as resistance increases, the maximum permissible current decreases, and vice versa. This is because higher resistance restricts the flow of current and can result in overheating and damage to the electrical component.

4. Why is it important to consider temperature when calculating maximum permissible current?

Temperature plays a critical role in determining the maximum permissible current because it affects the resistance of the electrical component. As temperature increases, the resistance also increases, which can result in a decrease in the maximum permissible current. It is important to consider the operating temperature of the electrical system to ensure that the maximum permissible current is not exceeded.

5. Are there any safety precautions to take when working with maximum permissible current?

Yes, there are several safety precautions to take when working with maximum permissible current. These include wearing appropriate personal protective equipment, ensuring that the electrical component is properly rated for the current being used, and following proper electrical safety protocols. It is also important to regularly monitor and maintain the electrical system to ensure that the maximum permissible current is not exceeded.