Maximum resistance and power for LED

In summary, the question asks for the range of values for resistor R1 in two circuits using an LED with a maximum power of 75 mW or maximum current of 30 mA and a voltage supply of 12 V. The minimum resistance is 400 Ω, but the maximum resistance cannot be determined without knowing the specific LED parameters or making assumptions. It may also be necessary to consider the LED's lumen/watt curve or the protection of the diode in the second circuit.
joel amos

Homework Statement

You wish to use an LED (D1) which provides essentially zero resistance and is rated to accept either a maximum of 75 mW of power or 30 mA of current. In the following two circuits, what range values for resistor R1 will be acceptable in each case if the voltage provided by V1 is 12 V?

34z0zzk.png

Homework Equations

R = V / I
V = P / I

The Attempt at a Solution

Rmax = V / I = 12 V / 30 mA = 400 Ω.

V2 = P / I = 75 mW / 30 mA = 2.5 mV

So I need a resistor that will reduce the voltage from 12 V to 2.5 mV, requiring a voltage drop of 11.9975 V:

Rmin = V / I = 11.9975 V / 30 mA = 399.916667 Ω

Rounding to one or two significant figures (as mentioned in the instructions) would remove any sort of "range" from my answer. Furthermore, a 400V resistor would leave no energy for the LED. Is the problem in my answer or the large voltage supply?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Check the units for your V2 calculation. You have mW over mA, so the "milli's" should cancel.

What does V2 represent? What's the potential drop required across the resistor taking V2 into account?

I'm not sure what criteria they want you to apply to find a "range of values" for the resistor. Perhaps they want you to select suitable values from the set of standard resistor values? See, for example, Resistors - Standard Values.

I see now that what I was doing was flawed. So 400 Ω is the minimum resistance without allowing more than 30 mA of current. I don't know what the maximum resistance would be. No matter the resistance, the voltage drop over the resistor is 12 V. The LED will never get to its maximum of 75 mW of power.

Last edited:
joel amos said:
I see now that what I was doing was flawed. So 400 Ω is the minimum resistance without allowing more than 30 mA of current. I don't know what the maximum resistance would be. No matter the resistance, the voltage drop over the resistor is 12 V. The LED will never get to its maximum of 75 mW of power.
Actually, the drop across the resistance will be less than 12 V. Remember V2 that you calculated before? The LED will exhibit an almost constant voltage drop due to its junction potential. LED's typically have a drop in the neighborhood of 2 or 3 V (depends upon the details of the construction and materials of the LED). So you'll want to work that into your figuring.

I'm still unsure how to select a maximum resistance without knowing something else about the LED (like a minimum current that will produce visible illumination for the application at hand).

gneill said:
Actually, the drop across the resistance will be less than 12 V. Remember V2 that you calculated before? The LED will exhibit an almost constant voltage drop due to its junction potential. LED's typically have a drop in the neighborhood of 2 or 3 V (depends upon the details of the construction and materials of the LED). So you'll want to work that into your figuring.

I'm still unsure how to select a maximum resistance without knowing something else about the LED (like a minimum current that will produce visible illumination for the application at hand).

most LEDs are speced with a lumen/watt curve. You can either use that.

If you are not given that data and you do not when the minimum current through the LED is, then you have two options.

1. make an assumption, do some research, pick a LED and min current
2. assume the problem is simply talking about the ranges of R1 that would protect the diode, in which case R1 could be infinate

Have you considered that the question might be expecting you to work out the forward voltage from the max power and max current? (Not always a legitimate method).

PS: What does the second circuit look like? Perhaps the bit about a "range of values" makes more sense for the other circuit?

1. What is the maximum resistance for LED?

The maximum resistance for LED varies depending on the specific LED and its operating conditions. Generally, the maximum resistance can range from a few ohms to several megaohms.

2. How does resistance affect the power of an LED?

The power of an LED is directly proportional to its resistance. This means that as the resistance increases, the power output of the LED decreases. Therefore, the maximum resistance for an LED should be carefully selected to balance power output and efficiency.

3. What factors determine the maximum resistance for an LED?

The maximum resistance for an LED is determined by several factors, including the LED's operating voltage, current, and its temperature rating. Additionally, the type and quality of the LED can also impact its maximum resistance.

4. Can an LED be damaged by exceeding its maximum resistance?

Yes, an LED can be damaged by exceeding its maximum resistance. This can lead to a decrease in its lifespan or even complete failure. It is important to carefully select the appropriate resistance for an LED to ensure its longevity and optimal performance.

5. How can I calculate the maximum resistance for an LED?

The maximum resistance for an LED can be calculated using Ohm's law (R=V/I) or by referring to the LED's datasheet. It is also important to consider the LED's operating conditions and any safety margins that may need to be included in the calculation.