[Circuits] Finding maximum power

To find Rth, the voltage source is shorted and resistance is measured across the terminals. To find Vth, the resistance is removed and voltage is measured across the terminals with an open circuit. The value of RL for maximum power is equal to Rth, and the maximum power that can be transferred to the resistor RL is calculated using the formula Pmax = (Vth^2)/(4Rth). In summary, the Thevenin equivalent circuit can be found by shorting the voltage source and measuring the resistance, the value of RL for maximum power is equal to Rth, and the maximum power transferred can be calculated using the Thevenin voltage and resistance values.
ainster31

Homework Statement

a. Find the Thevenin equivalent circuit across RL.
b. What is the value of RL for maximum power?
c. Calculate the maximum power that can be transferred to the resistor RL.

vHc0wIH.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[strike]a. Rth=2.88 ohm
b. RL=2.88 ohm
c. P=154.3 mW[/strike]

Edit: looks like I found an error. Here is my second attempt:

a. Rth=2.933 ohm
b. RL=2.933 ohm
c. P=150.8 mW

I have a test upcoming and we were given this as a practice question. Unfortuantely, there is no answer so I don't know if I it is correct or not. Can anyone let me know if my answers are right? I used MultiSim to check the answers for my other practice questions and I found mistakes. I can't use MultiSim to check this one.

This is the other similar problem that I need to make sure I have done correctly: http://i.imgur.com/g2JaZXO.png

My answer: P=69.4 mW

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Had you provided your working, someone may have looked over it to see whether the approach was right.

A Thévenin equivalent requires a voltage source and a resistance.

What is maximum power in a circuit?

Maximum power in a circuit refers to the highest amount of power that can be delivered to a load. This occurs when the load resistance is matched to the source resistance, resulting in maximum power transfer.

How do you calculate maximum power in a circuit?

Maximum power in a circuit can be calculated using the formula Pmax = (Vmax^2/4R), where Pmax is the maximum power, Vmax is the maximum voltage, and R is the load resistance.

What is the significance of finding maximum power in a circuit?

Finding maximum power in a circuit is important because it allows for efficient use of power. It ensures that the load is receiving the most power possible, and minimizes power loss in the circuit.

What happens if the load resistance does not match the source resistance in a circuit?

If the load resistance does not match the source resistance, the circuit will not be operating at maximum power. This can result in power loss and inefficient use of energy.

Can maximum power be increased in a circuit?

Yes, maximum power can be increased in a circuit by changing the load resistance to match the source resistance. This can be done by using a variable resistor or by adjusting the circuit design.