Why is the concentration of [OH-] not equal to the square root of Kw?

• Thread starter disneychannel
  • Start date
In summary, the value of Kw at 50°C is 5.48x10-14 and to find the concentration of [OH-], you would need to square root Kw. However, in the given example, this is not the case. The correct approach would be to square root the value of Kw, giving a concentration of 2.34x10-7. When calculating the [OH-] concentration in pure water at 50°C, the same approach would be correct.
disneychannel
So I thought if I have the value of Kw and I need to find the concentration of [OH-] then all I would have to do is square root the Kw. But in this example, it is not the case why?

Kw at 50oC is 5.48x10-14. Calculate OH- concentration

so i just square rooted 5.48x10-14 and got 2.34 x10-7. Shouldn't this be right?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
For a pure water at 50°C that would be a correct approach. Is there some additional information in the question?

No. It just states "calculate the [OH] concentration from the above solution at 50 degrees" But, I am pretty sure that would not make a difference. Correct?

disneychannel said:
No. It just states "calculate the [OH] concentration from the above solution at 50 degrees" But, I am pretty sure that would not make a difference. Correct?

What is "the above solution"?

Kw= [H+][OH-] by definition.
If [H+]=[OH-] then [OH-]=Sqrt (Kw)

FAQ: Why is the concentration of [OH-] not equal to the square root of Kw?

1. What is the formula for calculating [OH-] from kw?

The formula for calculating [OH-] from kw is [OH-] = kw / [H+].

2. How is kw related to the pH scale?

kw is related to the pH scale through the equation pH = -log[H+]. As kw represents the equilibrium constant for the dissociation of water, it is used to calculate the concentration of H+ ions, which is used to determine the pH value.

3. How does temperature affect the value of kw?

The value of kw increases with increasing temperature. This is because the dissociation of water into H+ and OH- ions is an endothermic reaction, meaning it requires heat energy to occur. As temperature increases, more H+ and OH- ions are formed, resulting in a higher value for kw.

4. Can kw be used to calculate the concentration of OH- in a strong base?

No, kw can only be used to calculate the concentration of OH- in water or in a neutral solution. In a strong base, the concentration of OH- ions is much higher than in water, making the use of kw inaccurate.

5. How do I use the value of kw to calculate the pH of a solution?

To calculate the pH of a solution using kw, you can rearrange the equation pH = -log[H+] to [H+] = 10^(-pH) and then substitute this value into the formula [OH-] = kw / [H+]. Finally, take the negative logarithm of the resulting [OH-] value to determine the pH of the solution.

Back