Calculating Peak Amplitude of Water Wave Motion

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
torbenmf
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I have now in some time tried to figure out a way to calculate the peak amplitude of a water wave, after starting the wave motion by dropping an object, with a certain weight from a given height, in the water.

I am not in need of the information, but it would be nice to know.
I will hope that you could help me understand this :-)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know how to do that, but I do not it's not simple...The density, shape, and size
of the object will have to be taken intio account...For example, imagine a long pipe or rod
dropped...if on end,vertical, very different than if horozontal...or notice the size waves expert divers make...the splash is an indicator of the entry efficiency...