Calculating Period and Frequency of a Mass-Spring System

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 7K views
tallbus1
Messages
12
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A spring with a spring constant of 1.8 X 102 N/m is attached to a 1.5 kg mass and then set into motion.

a. What is the period of the mass-spring system?
b. What is the frequency of the vibration?

Homework Equations


The only one that comes to mind would be Hooke's Law
Fe = -kx

The Attempt at a Solution


The issue is that it gives a mass, but neither displacement, nor Felastic, which makes me wonder whether I'm using the wrong equation, or I'm not fully understanding the equation, as the only variable I have here that fits is -k (spring constant), unless of course Felastic can be related to Fg (MG) in some way.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
None of these equations exactly answer the problem, one of them doest mention when a mass is added to the end, but it requires you using Frequency, while I don't have the frequency...
After watching a lecture on that wikipedia page he explained the equation:

T= 2Pie sqroot(m/k)

This will solve my problem nicely, thank you!