Calculating power of a Turbocharger

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of calculating the power of a turbocharger by using the change in pressure and temperature, assuming a constant volume. The participants also consider the engine's air intake system and its role in the calculation, as well as the potential high wattage output of the turbo.
b_dobro
Hi. My question is about the turbocharger itself and not about the resulting power increase from the added air in the combustion chamber.

Can you calculate the power of a turbo if you have the change in pressure (atmospheric VS. Intake Manifold), and the change in temperature (outside air to intake manifold temp).?

For example, you know the outside temperature is 25 C, the temperature after compression is 120 C. The initial pressure is atmospheric 14.7Psi, and after compression it is 24.7Psi. Volume is constant. Is there a way to find the power of the turbo if it is able to deliver this pressure change at a constant rate?

I'm just looking for a ballpark number, no need to be exact.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sure there's a way to do it although I'm not in a position to figure it out right now, but, are you sure the volume is constant...during compression?

I'm guessing the system would be the air intake side of the engine, so volume should remain the same throughout. I don't think the outside volume should be part of the system.

Every revolution of a 4 stroke engine, it displaces half of it's displacement. So, a 2L engine moves 1L of air every revolution.

Say you're boosting 15psi at 5000rpm, that's 83L of air at 15psi every second.

I don't know the equation off hand, but however many joules of energy are stored in 83L of air at 15psi above atmospheric should approximately be the wattage the turbo is putting out. It'll probably be some stupid high number around 50kW; Those things pump some serious amounts of air.

1. What is a turbocharger?

A turbocharger is a device that is used to increase the power output of an engine by compressing the air entering the engine. This increased air pressure allows for more fuel to be burned, resulting in more power being produced.

2. How does a turbocharger work?

A turbocharger uses a turbine and a compressor, connected by a shaft, to increase the amount of air entering the engine. The exhaust gases from the engine spin the turbine, which in turn spins the compressor, compressing the air and sending it into the engine.

3. How is the power of a turbocharger calculated?

The power of a turbocharger is calculated by multiplying the mass flow rate of air (in kg/s) by the change in pressure (in Pa) and dividing by the density of air (in kg/m^3). This can be represented by the equation: Power = (m_dot*∆P)/ρ.

4. What factors affect the power of a turbocharger?

The power of a turbocharger is affected by a variety of factors including the size and design of the turbine and compressor, the speed at which the turbine spins, the exhaust gas flow rate, and the air density.

5. How can the power of a turbocharger be increased?

The power of a turbocharger can be increased by making modifications to the turbine and compressor, such as increasing their size or changing the angles of the blades. Other factors that can affect the power include adjusting the engine's exhaust gas flow rate and using intercooling to decrease the air temperature and increase its density.