Calculating pressure release time

In summary, the conversation revolves around the calculation of gas flow and pressure drop in a pressure vessel filled with scCO2. The main question is how the conditions change when using a gas instead of a liquid and how the pressure differential affects the flow rate. The use of Cv values for basic industrial applications is mentioned, but it is recommended to use more precise measurements for accurate results. The process of calculating gas flow in a pressure vessel is complex and requires a complete pressure driven model. The conversation also mentions the need for heat to do expansion work and the use of flow orifices with certified flow coefficients for precise applications.
Tyler Bennett
Hey people,

I have a pressure vessel pressurized to say 20MPa at 33C, of which I'm working with a gas (scCO2 to be exact) which will then be released into the atmosphere (standard pressure and temperature) through a release valve; I'm wondering how long it will take for the pressure to reach equilibrium? I'm assuming it'll be some sort of exponential decrease and hoping to model it to figure out how long it takes to reach 70/80/90% of pressure drop.

I'm working on getting the Cv for the release valve. My main issue is wondering how the conditions change because I'm using a gas instead of a liquid? For example, the valve says it can reach a maximum flow rate of 24ml/min. This makes sense when working with a liquid at standard pressure, but how does that change if I'm working with a gas? More precisely how does that change if the pressure differential between vessel and atmosphere is 2x, 5x, 10x, 20x?

Engineering news on Phys.org
While it does not address all elements of your problem, see the below for the basic equations for calculating gas flow relative to Cv.

upload_2017-8-8_13-32-18.png

Pleasant units indeed, my dear JBA :rolleyes: !

The thing to do is make a complete pressure driven model: enthalpy balance, mass balance, physical properties, the lot. Not trivial at all.

What provides the heat to do the expansion work ? Or is this adiabatic and you let it freeze up ?

Cv is a coefficient used by manufacturers of commodity valves for basic industrial applications and not appropriate for precise gas flow applications; nor, is the sizing of such valves. Unfortunately, I have been unable to identify any available more precise conversion than that I offered for the use of Cv values. At the same time, it is rare for more precise measurements to be needed for the general industrial applications of these valves.

For precise applications flow orifices with certified flow coefficients, specific gas properties and classic gas law equations should be used. In reality, essentially all applications related to gas storage transfers are polytropic and must be treated as such to be fully accurate; which, as stated, is no trivial process.

Likes BvU
@Tyler Bennett, to get a sense of the issues facing your calculation Google "BLOWDOWN) ]Haque et al. 1992b]" for a pdf copy of this paper and take a look at Imperial College I7 Case - N2-Co2 mixture blowdown test case on pgs 6-7

Likes BvU

1. What is pressure release time?

Pressure release time is the time it takes for a fluid or gas to be released from a confined space or container and reach a state of equilibrium with the surrounding environment.

2. How is pressure release time calculated?

Pressure release time can be calculated using the ideal gas law, which states that the pressure of a gas is inversely proportional to its volume and directly proportional to its temperature. This equation can be rearranged to solve for time, given the initial pressure, final pressure, volume, and temperature.

3. What factors can affect pressure release time?

Several factors can affect pressure release time, including the size and shape of the container, the type of gas or fluid being released, the temperature and pressure of the surrounding environment, and any external forces acting on the container.

4. How can pressure release time be reduced?

Pressure release time can be reduced by increasing the size of the release valve or opening, decreasing the volume of the container, or increasing the temperature of the gas or fluid being released. Additionally, reducing external forces such as friction or resistance can also decrease pressure release time.

5. Why is calculating pressure release time important?

Calculating pressure release time is important for safety and efficiency purposes. It can help determine the necessary size and design of containers and valves, as well as the appropriate release procedures, to prevent dangerous pressure build-up. It can also aid in predicting the time it takes for a system to reach a stable state after a pressure release, which can be critical in industrial and environmental applications.