Pressure and flow rate control valve, ....

In summary, the conversation discussed how a control valve can control pressure and flow rate in a pipe. The continuity laws and Bernoulli theorem were mentioned, as well as the concept of energy losses and how they affect pressure and flow rate. The question was raised about how a control valve actually controls flow rate, and whether it remains the same or changes due to the pressure drop. The example of a restriction orifice was also brought up.
BORPE
Dear all,

I'm wondering how a control valve can control pressure and flow rate. I understand that a control valve in a pipe induces a certain pressure drop but I don't understand how this affects flow rate. I'm disturbed with the continuity laws which states that the total flow rate between two points in a systems is the same according to the relation: Av = constant. So for example, in a control valve the area drops, then velocity has to increase in order to fulfill this. This means also according to the Bernoulli theorem that the pressure drops. Furthermore, the pressure energy downstream can't be fully recovered because they're certain energy losses (friction causes some mechanical energy to become thermal energy and so forth). But my question now is how a control valve then controls flow rate? Does the flow rate remains the same? or does it changes because there is a certain pressure drop so that the driving force (pressure difference) for flow downstream is less and thus there is less flow? How works this for a restriction orifice?

Engineering news on Phys.org
BORPE said:
I'm disturbed with the continuity laws which states that the total flow rate between two points in a systems is the same according to the relation: Av = constant. So for example, in a control valve the area drops, then velocity has to increase in order to fulfill this.
That is all true, but when you close a control valve you change your system and the previous continuity relation no longer applies.

1. What is a pressure and flow rate control valve?

A pressure and flow rate control valve is a device used to regulate the flow of fluids (liquids or gases) through a system by controlling the pressure and flow rate.

2. How does a pressure and flow rate control valve work?

Pressure and flow rate control valves work by using a combination of mechanical and electrical components to monitor and adjust the flow of fluid through a system. They typically have a sensor that measures the pressure and flow rate, and a control mechanism that adjusts the valve to maintain the desired pressure and flow rate.

3. Where are pressure and flow rate control valves commonly used?

Pressure and flow rate control valves are commonly used in various industries, including oil and gas, chemical processing, water treatment, and HVAC systems. They are also used in household appliances such as washing machines and dishwashers.

4. What are the benefits of using a pressure and flow rate control valve?

Using a pressure and flow rate control valve can help improve the efficiency of a system by maintaining a consistent pressure and flow rate, reducing energy consumption and minimizing wear and tear on equipment. They can also help prevent system failures and improve safety.

5. How do you select the right pressure and flow rate control valve for a specific application?

Selecting the right pressure and flow rate control valve depends on factors such as the type of fluid being controlled, the desired flow rate and pressure range, and the specific requirements of the system. It is important to consult with a knowledgeable engineer or supplier to determine the best valve for a particular application.