Calculating Pump Head: Equation & Parameters Explained

In summary, calculating pump head can be done through testing the pump and incorporating the data into a characteristic curve. There are equations available for predicting performance based on the impeller or plungers, but testing is the most accurate method. A summation of losses can also provide the answer, but the original question is unclear.
ajoyce
Hi there

Looking for some help with calculating the head for a pump

The example in my textbook isn't exactly clear.

Is there a specific equation I can be using or can it be worked out having the following:

volumetric flow rate
density of fluid
gravity
pump efficiency
pipe diameter
equiv length head loss

Engineering news on Phys.org
Thanks I will have a look and see what you have provided

If it's discharging into atmospheric pressure, e.g. the top of a tank, then the head of the pump will be equal to the head loss due to pipe friction plus the head loss due to elevation change between the suction water level and the discharge level.

SteamKing said:
IDK about calculating pump head. The head and flow rate of a pump are generally derived from testing the pump. This data is then incorporated into a characteristic curve for the pump.

It can be done, but it's not very straightforward. There are several "modeling" equations that can be used to predict performance based on the geometry of the impeller (or plungers if a piston pump), but you are correct, the only real way to know how a pump will perform is to test it.

That said, I really don't understand the original question. It sounds like a summation of the losses will give you the answer they're looking for, but I could be misunderstanding the statement of the problem.

Related to Calculating Pump Head: Equation & Parameters Explained

What is pump head?

Pump head is a measurement of the height or pressure that a pump is able to push a liquid to. It is typically expressed in units of length, such as feet or meters.

How is pump head calculated?

Pump head can be calculated using the equation: pump head = (pressure head + elevation head + friction head) / specific gravity. This equation takes into account the pressure being applied to the pump, the height difference between the inlet and outlet, and the resistance to flow due to friction.

What are the parameters used in the pump head equation?

The parameters used in the pump head equation are pressure head, elevation head, friction head, and specific gravity. Pressure head is the force applied to the pump, elevation head is the height difference between the inlet and outlet, and friction head is the resistance to flow due to friction. Specific gravity is the ratio of the density of a liquid to the density of water.

Why is calculating pump head important?

Calculating pump head is important because it allows engineers and scientists to determine the appropriate pump size and power needed for a specific application. It also helps to ensure the pump is operating efficiently and effectively.

Are there any limitations to the pump head equation?

Yes, the pump head equation does have some limitations. It assumes a constant specific gravity and neglects other factors such as pump efficiency and changes in fluid viscosity. It is also important to note that the pump head calculated may not be the same as the actual pressure or height achieved due to losses in the system.