Calculating Rate of Climb for Beech Bonanza V-Tailed Aircraft

  • Thread starter Thread starter ranger1716
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Class Power
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
ranger1716
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
OK, I have a question regarding this homework that I have to complete about power and airspeed.

I have a beech bonanza v-tailed aircraft and I need to calculate rate of climb in ft/min with a True airspeed of 110 knots. (110 knots = 185.7 ft/s)

I am using R/C= (excess power)/weight My problem is that when I found the power required for level cruise at the same speed as above, I got a huge number because I did PR=Thrust required x Velocity (200.3 lbs x 185.7ft/s)

This going to give me a negative number for my excess power. The power plant is capable of 345 hp at sea level.

What am I doing wrong?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm calculating only 67.6 HP for cruise. Where did your huge number come from?
 
I honestly don't know what I'm doing wrong. I used the equation I described above and multiplied by 60 in order to get ft lbs/min.

:confused:
 
[tex]PR = TV[/tex]
[tex]PR = (200.3 Lb_f)(187.5 \frac{ft}{sec})[/tex]
[tex]PR = 37556.3 \frac{ft*Lb_f}{sec}[/tex]

Use the relationship that [tex]1 HP = 550 \frac{ft Lbf}{sec}[/tex]

That leaves [tex]PR = 68.3 HP[/tex]

Why are you multiplying by 60?
 
oh ok...that makes total sense. I was multiplying by 60 to try and convert the units, but now I can see how to get the answer. I didn't use that relationship that you gave.

Thank you!