1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating refraction in continuous refractive index

1. Jan 11, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The problem is page 5 on: http://www.physics.ox.ac.uk/olympiad/Downloads/PastPapers/Paper3_2010_.pdf [Broken]

I will just summarise the question:

The refractive index of space,n, at a distance r from the sun is given by √(1+5920/r). The light from a distant star is deflected by a small angle θ. Using a simple model, calculate θ.

2. Relevant equations

Snell's law?

3. The attempt at a solution

I have no idea of how to get started with this question. I think that the model will involve some discrete layers but I still wouldn't know how to do the problem. Any help would really be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes, use Snell's law. Consider a ray of light that would pass some distance s from the sun passing through a thin annulus at radius r. You can calculate the angle at which it intersects that annulus and hence the small adjustment to its trajectory. I think you can treat s as unchanging, since the deflection is small.

4. Jan 11, 2013 #3

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Seems to me data is missing, especially how close to the sun's surface does the beam get. I suppose you could make your answer a function of that distance as another poster suggests.

Then I'd say you need to do an integration of an infinite number of infinitely thin layers with n a function of r. For each layer Snell's law would apply.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook