Refractive index experiment/finding error on graphs

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics practical report on the refractive index of glass and the experiment performed to measure it. The data was collected by measuring incident and refractive angles and plotting them on a graph with the y-intercept as 0, satisfying Snell's law. The gradient of this line is equal to the refractive index of glass. However, the data does not fit well with a trend line without a y-intercept of 0, and when this is used, the gradient is 1.1 which is not possible. The problem is in finding uncertainty in the graph, as the maximum and minimum gradient trend lines are both less than the one calculated. The conversation also discusses the accuracy of the measurement and the need
peanut111
I'm writing a physics practical report on the refractive index of glass. We performed an experiment in which we measured the incident angle and the refractive angle of light entering a glass block. When plotting sin(ϴa) against sin(ϴg) with the y-intercept as 0

(to satisfy snell's law:
nasin(ϴa)=ngsin(ϴg)
sin(ϴa)=(ng/na)sin(ϴg)
where ng=refractive index of glass and na =refractive index of air.
This is the same form as y=mx)

it yields a line with a gradient equal to the refractive index of glass. We also have to calculate the error, using the minimum and maximum gradient method. However, my data would better fit a trend line without a y-intercept of 0, but when I give it this trend line the gradient is 1.1, which obviously can't be the refractive index of glass. My problem is, that when I add my maximum and minimum gradient trend lines to fine error, they are both less than the one I have. Is there any other way to find uncertainty in a graph?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hy peanut111, welcome to PF.
Can you show your measurement data? ehild

I've attached my data :)

Attachments

• Data.xlsx
    40.8 KB · Views: 777
peanut111 said:
I've attached my data :)

I can not open xlsx files, can you convert them to xls or txt? or just type in some pairs of angles?
Are you sure you used the angles between the rays and the normal of the plane?

ehild

I hope this works for you :)

Also, I'm pretty sure I measured correctly, and the data correlates, it just works less well when the y-intercept is 0 because the maximum and minimum gradients are both less than the one I have.

Attachments

• data.doc
    38 KB · Views: 675
Thank you for the data. To tell the truth, the measurement was not accurate enough, and even there might have been some systematic error. It is rather difficult to measure angles with satisfactory accuracy. How did you measure them? What was the experimental set-up?

You should include the data for zero incidence. If you see the ray which enters normally to the surface, it should travel in the same direction. Adding the (0,0) point to both graphs it makes the results more acceptable.

ehild

1. What is the purpose of a refractive index experiment?

The purpose of a refractive index experiment is to determine the refractive index of a substance, which is a measure of how much light is bent when it passes through the substance. This can provide valuable information about the composition and properties of the substance being studied.

2. What equipment is needed for a refractive index experiment?

To conduct a refractive index experiment, you will need a refractometer, a light source (such as a laser or LED), a sample of the substance to be tested, and a container to hold the substance.

3. How is refractive index calculated from experimental data?

Refractive index can be calculated by dividing the speed of light in a vacuum by the speed of light in the substance being studied. This can be determined by measuring the angle of refraction of light passing through the substance and using Snell's law (n1sinθ1 = n2sinθ2) to calculate the refractive index.

4. How do you find the error on a refractive index graph?

To find the error on a refractive index graph, you can calculate the uncertainty in the measurements of the angle of refraction and the refractive index. This can be done by taking multiple measurements and calculating the standard deviation. The error bars on the graph can then be drawn using this uncertainty.

5. What are some sources of error in a refractive index experiment?

Some sources of error in a refractive index experiment include inaccuracies in measuring the angle of refraction, variations in the sample being tested, and external factors such as temperature and humidity. It is important to take multiple measurements and calculate the average to reduce the impact of these errors.